Reply to post: Just a drop?

Bono apologises for iTunes album dump

dan1980

Just a drop?

"I had this beautiful idea. We got carried away with ourselves. Artists are prone to that kind of thing. Drop of megalomania. Twitch of generosity. Dash of self promotion. And deep fear that the songs that we poured out life into over the last few years mightn't be heard. There's a lot of noise out there. I guess we we got a little noisy ourselves to get through it."

Just a drop?

What it is is either a massive dose of arrogance or an amazing disconnect between what they think people are cool with and what they actually are cool with.

Or both.

It's a free gift - why wouldn't anyone want that? After all, they can always throw it away but you're opening them up to something that you think they might like and otherwise might be ignorant of.

It seems to me the same kind of attitude of those who proselytise their religious beliefs, dropping pamphlets through mailboxes and onto windscreens or knocking on doors in pairs or handing out booklets in the street.

It's the idea that the thing they are offering is a fundamentally good thing that is relevant and valuable to people and they should be given the opportunity to see this thing because it would be unfortunate if they missed out through not knowing.

Actually, comparing U2 to religion is not that much of a stretch . . .

What's that one about the difference between God and Bono being that God doesn't walk down the street thinking he's Bono?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021