Reply to post:

Get NAS-ty: Reg puts claws to eight four-bay data dumpsters

Steven Raith

Simplicity and convenience, maybe. Unless you can spin up a FreeNAS instance with iSCSI, NFS, SMB, and options for apache, MySQL, LDAP, BitTorrent client working fully, with a decent interface within, ooh, twenty minutes? ;-)

I'm not being facetious, by the way - I was looking at doing similar, but was busy at work so dropped a few hundred on a DS214+ and a pair of WD Reds. It hammers along at 100MB/sec, everything just works, and upgrades to fix security holes etc are a piece of piss and fully tested before release.

So it genuinely is simplicity and convenience - I could probably have built something comparable for about the same price, but had I put my hourly rate on it (not much, I might add) then the cost goes up.

Also, I'm seriously fucking lazy.

It used to be that building your own server was the only way to get decent performance and features at a reasonable cost - these days that isn't true any more.

Would you rather have a kit car or a BAC Mono? Would you rather buy a scrapper 7-series and fix it up or get one with tax and test on it? It's always about money vs convenience, and I'm getting too old for that shit now.

Well, almost....*taps fingers impatiently waiting for courier with an alternator*...

Steven R

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon