Reply to post:

Was Nokia's Elop history's worst CEO?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Even if your friends predicted what would happen it doesn't necessarily mean he was a Trojan horse.

He was hired by the Nokia board and everything he did was signed off by the Nokia board. The board defined his incentives. The board are as responsible for what happened as Elop. If they were not then there was an even bigger problem with corporate governance.

I think that in 2010 the board realized just how big a problem they had. Uncompetitive products (Devices and Ovi Services), massive R&D spend, poor execution, etc. They made the change and although they would have hoped for a positive conclusion they also realized they needed an exit strategy if things didn't turn out. Going for Elop and Microsoft was part of that exit strategy, hence Elop got a bonus when the sale was completed. I am sure he would have got an even bigger bonus if he had returned Nokia to its earlier position in the business.

I wonder if anyone will write a book on how Nokia got to the point were it needed saving and hired Elop?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon