Reply to post: Since systemd is quite controversial...

Linux systemd dev says open source is 'SICK', kernel community 'awful'

Levente Szileszky

Since systemd is quite controversial...

...he got a bucket of crap poured all over him time by time, I bet (FWIW I see the point behind systemd but the crap that comes with it defeats the pupose, I think and it should not be default in any distro.)

"Poettering said Torvalds' confrontational and often foul-mouthed management style is "not an efficient way to run a community" and that it sets an example that is followed by other kernel developers, creating a hostile environment for newcomers."

I'm fine with calling out LT for his foulmouthed posts etc but I failed to see the point about LT's mgmt style: he manages everything openly and it IS definitely a MUCH MORE EFFICIENT way than some kind of shady private dealings behind each others back, a practice that would emerge from any other mgmt style at this size.

"The Linux community is dominated by western, white, straight, males in their 30s and 40s these days,"

Yeah, sorry for us being white etc but it was developed and released by a Western, white, straight male, who is now in his 40s, just like many of us, his early users & backers, who kept pushing it so others took notice and started developing it. I could say it's part of the baggage, deal with it - but it's really a stupid, somewhat sinister point so I'd say just drop it altogether, you have zero argument here... no, it's not a closed (=racist) community and after laziness language and technical barriers are the two most common factors behind non-participation, not race, gender or sexual preference. Your point is just stupid, sorry.

"I perfectly fit in that pattern, and the rubbish they pour over me is awful. I can only imagine that it is much worse for members of minorities, or people from different cultural backgrounds,"

You're saying... what? You're white etc but you get all the crap due to your bad code so you assume minorities, 'people from different cultural background' make even worse contributions so they get even more crap...? That would quite a racist comment, don't you think...?

"in particular ones where losing face is a major issue."

Oh PLEAHSE, not THIS crap - this fake 'cultural sensitivity" BS is the lamest of all.

It is a TECHNICAL community, first and foremost, WITH ITS OWN CULTURAL BACKGROUND too and aside of treating everybody with basic respect NOBODY SHOULD GIVE A FLYING *&^%$ about individual 'cultural sensitivities', absolutely not, hell no. Say it out loud if (s)he messed up something, if (s)he's wrong - and the person should grow the hell up and take it or be able to defend his/her point if (s)he thinks (s)he's still right.

That's the only way to maintain a healthy conversation, PC BS should not be even considered, your suggestion otherwise is absolutely awful. What's next, if someone cracks a joke about something politically incorrect then he should be disciplined? Screw that - I want to see technical advancement, not nice chitchat about everybody's curry recipe, sorry. If you want that take it to forums that are in such business and start throwing your purses over there when someone does not like your recipes..

"As a result of the behavior of Torvalds and a few other core kernel developers, he said, he hasn't posted to the Linux kernel mailing list "in years"

So somehow, suddenly just now, you realized it was all awful back then? And just how relevant it is now? See, I'm perfectly fine staying on the reader side and can just skim over stupid posts - how come you, who knew it so well, cannot? Perhaps you're just missing the attention...?

" – although he added that the systemd development community is "fantastic."

Perhaps that has to do with the culture too, hmm...?

"If you are a newcomer to Linux, either grow a really thick skin. Or run away, it's not a friendly place to be in," Poettering wrote by way of advice. "It is sad that it is that way, but it certainly is." ®

No, it's not sad - it is simply just what it is. And yes, in part THAT'S WHY IT IS WHAT IT IS TODAY, that's how it grows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon