Reply to post: Here I was wondering....

Adobe spies on readers: 'EVERY page you turn, EVERY book you own' leaked back to base

Anonymous Coward
Flame

Here I was wondering....

How Adobe knew to contact me with helpful suggestions like "You might consider "Waikiki One-piece Wonders", the long-awaited sequel to "Busty Brazilian Bikini Babes" and "Topless in Tonga".

Really, does Adobe NEED to know what I am reading? I know that Adobe is a global software giant that wants their intellectual property rights protected, but do copyright holders in general just plain have Adobe by the short and curlies to the point that it spies on its customers? And why transmit this data unencrypted? Given what we learned post-Snowden, how much do you want to bet that it is open knowledge among global sigint agencies that you can exploit what Adobe is doing to get an idea of what people are reading?

And of course right behind the sigint agencies are the hackers and internet scammers skimming this information and devising some social engineering attack. "Wow! You like romance novels too!! You know what, I have this great interview where novelist X really opens up about her experience writing her "Patricia the Passionate" series and how she chose to set it during the Napoleonic Wars! Here, I'll email it to you. Just click on the attachment when you get the mail!"

It's bad enough that Adobe is doing this, but to do this with such shoddy security in this day and age is just unforgivably crap corporate behavior.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon