Reply to post:

iPlayer blocking tor relays?

phuzz Silver badge

To reply to my own question, yes, the BBC is blocking Tor relays, not just exit nodes. As far as I can tell this is a relatively recent policy, and it's not documented anywhere that I could find.

Dear Mr

Reference

Thanks for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

Although it's been a while since you contacted us, I want to reassure you that we did read your contact shortly after it was received. We check all the contacts sent to iPlayer support every morning, and if we spot a potential fault we'll escalate for further investigation.

We understand you are encountering issues accessing BBC iPlayer.

We sent this across to our technical team for further investigation and they have stated that there is evidence this IP is a Tor. No changes will be made at this time to this IP. You will need to stop using a Tor network so we can verify that you are in the UK and you will then be able to access iPlayer services.

The BBC restricts access to certain content based on the geographic location of its users. We determine the location based on data in our GeoIP database. In some cases, however, we can't be sure of a given user's location. For instance, if someone accesses the internet via a VPN or proxy, our GeoIP database will give us the location of the associated VPN or proxy server, rather than of the actual end user. For this reason, if our GeoIP database indicates that an IP address is thought to be providing access for users in other countries, we block access to UK-restricted content.

At present, Tor nodes are classed as proxies, regardless of whether or not they are an exit node. We are working to differentiating Tor exit nodes from non-exit relays, to allow us to block exit nodes only.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022