Reply to post: Jumping the gun ?!?

GRAV WAVE DRAMA: 'Big Bang echo' may have been grit on the scanner – boffins

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Jumping the gun ?!?

In their desperate drive to be the first to claim a discovery and to secure future funding by sheer amount of headlines - knowing full well how the ignorami in the MSM and the public would interpret the report and, worse, its possible refutation (*) - they jumped the gun.

With all due respect, I'm afraid there is some irony here:

The BICEP2 team spent three years checking its facts before yesterday announcing the sighting of the first gravitational waves generated the moment after the universe as we know it blinked into existence 13.8bn years ago

If you had bothered to check ALL the facts available to you (as in reading the original article of which the above is a verbatim quote), you would have seen that scientific rigour indeed applies, moreover, the new discussion doesn't yet dispel the idea, it seeks to improve accuracy - the matter is not as "simple" as the original team envisaged as there are more variables to address.

I would agree that there is huge competition in any scientific field and not always for the right reasons, but in this case it's fact checking and refining theories, and I'm quite happy it takes place.

Hats off to all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon