Reply to post: How much?

Apple iPhone 6: Looking good, slim. AW... your battery died

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

How much?

You're buying the name. Apple is as much an marketing company as Google is an advertising one.

I'm a committed Android user but had a play on a colleague's 6 today. I will say it's a really nicely-built handset and the screen is wonderful. I can't knock the hardware and, it might be (to me) restrictive but the software works well too.

But is it really any better - really - than a top-end Android phone? Both make calls, send texts and emails; both run the same batch of common apps; both attract desperate fandom; and both are now mature products.

So considering my 32GB LG G2 cost me £279 recently - a hypothetical 32GB iPhone 6 would come in at £579 - I think I can safely say you're paying through the nose.

But what it all comes down to is this: another colleague saw my LG recently and laughed. "LG? Don't they make washing machines?" Yes, they do. And tellies and probably deep-fat-fryers. But they also make a decent smartphone that does all yours does, love, for less than half the price. (And my battery lasts 2+ days; last night was at 28% after two days' unpluggedness.)

Some iPhone users will come round at some point. I was the first person of everyone I knew to get an iPod and have had several; for some reason the allure of the similarly-monikered phone escaped me. (Actually no it doesn't. Now I think about it that reason was iTunes, and a chill runs up my spine. Scared/scarred me for life.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon