Reply to post: Re: Thinning the herd

iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?

Preston Munchensonton

Re: Thinning the herd

It might help to take a look at basic economics. Mature markets will naturally have a revenue/customer threshold beyond which the market as a whole will not support without external forces at play (e.g. regulation, technological advances, etc). The market can become monopolized by one competitor, but most governments don't permit true monopolies and haven't for many decades. Instead, the best competitors either force the lesser competition out of business or buy them out (i.e. consolidation).

Apple is not and never will become a monopoly. Their business model will have to change significantly for this to happen and I suggest that it would countermand the relationship with their current target customer base (i.e. fanbois and the like).

If I were Sony and HTC, I would look for someone to buy that part of the business first, so you can get some value back from the investments already made. Simply exiting the market by way of layoffs and production stoppage is too painful from a financial point of view.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon