Reply to post: Re: Education benefits?

Read IBM's note to staff announcing mandatory training and 10% pay cut

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Education benefits?

Get real.

Me : I'd like some additional training in agile software development. I think it would really help improve delivery on my projects.

IBM boss : Well, I can't send you on a training course for that, but I can point you towards online training.

Me : thanks, I'll take a look.

sometime later

IBM boss : Hey your utilisation has gone down, why are you booking so much time to training.

Me : I'm only booking 3 hours a week to training.

IBM boss : Well, you're going to have to stop that until your utilisation recovers.

Me : OK, I'll reduce it and learn in my own time.

sometime later

Me : I've leant some new stuff from my online training and I'd like to make the following changes....

IBM Boss : We can't afford the time to implement those changes. Just continue with what you're doing, oh and by the way we had to let Jo and Bob 'go', so here are 4 more projects for you to manage.

sometime later in review

Me : I've been looking around for my next role. All the roles want agile experience, so none of the hiring managers will take me on. I've trained online but no-one seems to want to give me a chance because I have no real experience.

IBM boss : Never mind that, your utilisation is poor, so I'll have to mark you down. No bonus for you, and if you don't buck up your ideas you'll be getting 'the letter'.

IBM act just like a pimp. They hire out their employees (keeping a nice juicy cut), slap them around a bit to keep control then drop them as soon as their skills are no longer required. If you are happy to remain in an abusive relationship then good for you, but I've got more respect than that and chose to leave for much happier pastures.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon