Reply to post: Re: Meeeh

'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux

h4rm0ny
Pint

Re: Meeeh

Trevor - some of what you say in your post I respect, other parts, I obviously disagree with. My interest here is constructive debate and a welcoming tone, not winning a pissing match. And I now believe you on the issue of not singling me out because of bias as my post was on the first page and so it is reasonable that you might have simply reached my post as one of the first and not gone farther to reach the others. So let's draw a line under this.

For reference, the parts that I disliked in your post were two - firstly, online threats to people are silly and remain silly. Making them will always mark your post down and likely get me responding with how silly I find them. I don't like a threatening tone and if you don't realize you sound threatening, let me tell you that now. Even in the unlikely event of violence taking place, it would still prove nothing. It simply has no place in a discussion. If you're under the impression it is humour, it isn't. I hope you'll take this as just feedback as to why this has turned into such an ugly mess from my point of view.

The second thing, and the reason you got such a strong response is because you stated I had said the Start Screen was better "because I said so". I never make subjective arguments. If I do say something subjective, I call it out myself to clarify. I respond to accusations of subjectivity about as well as you respond to accusations of lying. If you had confined your post to saying: "there's no reason both Start Screen and Start Menu can be optional, it's false to argue there should only be one preference", then you would have got an agreement from me.

You didn't do that. You went from my saying "I could do without the Start Menu back, I wish MS would stick to their vision for once" to calling me the "Champion of Fuck Everyone Else" and issuing threats. What response did you expect if not a rebuttal? You could also have simply pointed out that the Start Screen isn't being removed which is revealed in a blink and you'll miss it moment near the end of the video and which I hadn't seen. But instead you didn't do that - you went straight into war mode. You'll note that my initial response wasn't even objecting you saying there should be choice. I agree choice is usually good. All I wrote in my initial response was a criticism of your aggressive turning of things personal. Which I think is reasonable enough.

So, TL:DR; I apologise for calling you a liar (though your Hanlon's Razor defence missed a rather obvious third option, btw) as I can now see reasons why you might have singled out my post simply due to the order they appear. But making things personal and threatening is absurdly hostile and nowhere have I argued Start Screen is better just because I say so. So anyway, you have made a peace offering with a few nested But I'm Right Anyway's . I'll extend the same courtesy and this is my peace offering (with a few appended But I'm Right Anyway's ;) ). Hopefully we can be amicable and put an end to it for the sake of good discussion, now and I extend the traditional Beer icon to you. :)

Though I do have a few opinions on IPv6 whilst you're here. ;) :) (I kid! I kid!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon