Reply to post: Re: Security?

Be your own Big Brother: Monitoring your manor, the easy way

VinceH

Re: Security?

"Given a lot of, probably the majority of, these cameras have a history of really shit security and unpatched firmware, you might want to consider some 3rd party method of limiting which devices can connect in to your home network via the camera's exposed interface.

Indeed. I have a couple of fairly cheap, crap IP cameras (indoor ones) that feature a simple web-based interface which could be accessed from afar for remote viewing if I set my network up to allow it - but given that they're probably a potential security hole leading straight into my network, I don't.

Instead, I choose to reduce the chance of someone using them to break in electronically, and at the same time solve this problem:

Also important if you are worried about burglary is having a recording of the images on something that won't get nicked by the thief, so it has to be pretty well hidden or to store images off-site, a potentially expensive aspect."

The cameras are set to only take photographs when a scene changes, and those photographs are emailed to me. FTP to a remote server is also an option - and would use less bandwidth - but in the event of a burglary, email means I'll know something has happened much sooner - perhaps even while it's happening*.

* Unless I'm on holiday, when I tend to favour places where I have little or no network access. Or, indeed, just off for a walk somewhere suitably remote. Oh well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon