Reply to post: Re: It's all relative

Jony Ive: Apple iWatch will SCREW UP Switzerland's economy

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all relative

As someone who has sported a Patek on my wrist for many decades, I offer this true story.

A friend of mine asked me to pick him up a AAA quality Rolex Submariner copy in Asia. These are quite excellent copies and not at all cheap. It takes a well trained eye to spot the difference. I decided to wear it for a few days, never having owned even one Rolex in my adult life.

At least a dozen people commented on my Rolex, some that I had "moved up" in the watch world. Now, as someone who wears a Patek Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (amongst others), this is utterly hilarious. No one before has ever commented on my watches, other than those who themselves have a professional or other particular interest in them.

Really expensive watches go more or less unnoticed by the unwashed masses. A diamond crusted Rolex Presidential is expensive bling, rather than an expensive timepiece, so it gets noticed, but 99.9% of the unwashed, would not know a top tier watch if it struck them in the forhead, and my personal experience aligns with this statement.

Interestingly, Porsches and Rolexes have some similarities.

Rolex customer groups:

Pimps.

Stock brokers.

Jacques Couteau, Kim Bonington et. al.

Porsche customer groups:

Pimps.

Stock Brokers.

Race car drivers.

The first two in each group fund the existence of the product for the benefit of the third who are able to appreciate and value the quality.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon