Reply to post: Re: Perhaps

We told you jailbreaking your iThing was dangerous

robin thakur 1

Re: Perhaps

It's not exactly a bed of roses on Android. Having tired of how sluggish my Samsung Galaxy S5 was, I rooted my HTC one m8 and installed twrp recovery and that managed to block OTA updates. In trying to do something so out there as installing the new OTA update from HTC, it unaccountably left my phone in a bootloop and I had to reinstall a factory rom image, losing all my data. Stupidly I had assumed it was backing up every night to the cloud automatically a la iPhone and lost everything.

I only rooted it so that I could get the dot view case to display alerts from Hangouts (even rooted it still doesn't work) and allow me to put a different lock screen on it, Dashclock, which also doesn't quite do what I want (I want it full screen so I don't have to drag it down to full screen every time) neither of which you could do OOTB on that phone.

Now this might be different on a Nexus device, but my experience of Android's 'flexibility' is decidedly variable and it does generally require that you root your phone, compromising the security unless you install something like Super SU. Compared to what you are losing in terms of convenience and the fact that iOS is pretty much at feature parity now with far better hardware quality, long story short, my next phone will be an iPhone 6 when it gets released.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon