Reply to post: Re: This may be very relevant..

iCloud fiasco: 100 FAMOUS WOMEN exposed NUDE online

Kiwi

Re: This may be very relevant..

(this, btw, is taken from Google - I took the identifier out because I use this often in presentations. It gets interesting reactions when people realise just what they have agreed to when using Googleb services).

When starting to build the online presence for our company we had a look at such licenses (thankfully I had an inkling we'd see this and worse from FB, LI etc).

Even then I was somewhat shocked at how bad Google is, so our G+ page has had little work. I refuse to put our logo or other graphics on there because of this license. Might pinch their streetview photo for a picture of the shop front (let them steal their own IP) but anything I value? No.

LI is worse than Google - not only does it have much the same license, but you have to wade through a hell of a lot more text to reach it. And IIRC it's not in the area you'd expect to find it (so any company who has a logo on Linked In - guess what, you don't own the rights to your logo any more, you've given them an eternal to use it in any way they want, to make derivatives of it, to sell your logo or any derivatives and so on, you've lost control of it).

I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised to see that FB promise that anything you delete is deleted (with a caveat that it may linger in backups for a few weeks but will be deleted in due course and not human-reachable). Their licensing basically reads (at least when we put our logo and other artworks there, hope they haven't changed) that you have full rights over your work, but you give them a license to modify it for the purpose of displaying it in the manner you allow, and only for so long as you have an account with them.

(Note : Not a farcebook user (that's entirely the business partner's job!), nor a fan or supporter of FB. The less people on it the better.. Though it does take attention away from the more interesting places out there...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon