Reply to post: Reboot into gaming OS???

The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Reboot into gaming OS???

I used to do that back in old DOS days, when you had to carefully load your config.sys and autoexec.bat files in such a way that, from your 640kB of base memory, 600kB had to be freed for the game, while still loading CD-ROM, mouse, and soundcard drivers in higher memory. Lines such as SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 were just as clear as plain English.

It was painful, dull, tedious work of several hours before any game could be properly played. I just had a floppy drive with the correct boot sequence for each game. After that, I managed a completely different HDD where DOS would run, and just changing the boot drive in BIOS.

I was not fond of either method. I'm either building a machine from spare parts to run SteamOS, which kinda defeats the reason I bought high-end parts for gaming, or I won't even touch it. I'm too tired, too grumpy, and too old to fiddle around with partitions, BIOS settings, and angry Windows setups that will gladly corrupt other OS'es boot partitions without prior consent.

Every Linux partition I have installed so far was royally pwned by whatever Windows version I happened to be using, from Windows 2000 to Windows 7. Better yet, GRUB felt unable to restore the partition without causing Windows to pwn it again on the next reboot. Been there, done that, climbed that mountain, bought the T-shirt and Coffee Mug, and I have the scars to prove it.

So yeah, definitely buying or assembling an old machine just for a SteamOS test-drive. If it is cool enough, I will put the SteamOS machine right next to my PS3 on the living room.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon