Reply to post: Re: IPv6 like OSI is far more complex than necessary

The internet just BROKE under its own weight – we explain how

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: IPv6 like OSI is far more complex than necessary

IPv6 looks to me like a slow-motion car crash. I'm no network techie, in fact although I speak geek fluently enough to order dinner or a hotel, my only possible claim to techie-dom is water systems design.

But for years now, I keep reading stories about how we're all going to have to go IPv6 RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!!! Well, it's usually in a couple of months' time - becuase someone's just found another block of v4 addresses down the back of the sofa.

And then I read about what it can't do. Because apparently NAT smells of poo. And everything must be connected to everyone else. I wasn't aware that it would bugger up backup network connections for example.

It's a bit like reading about the Euro crisis, for which I have enough economics to understand. A high priesthood have ordained a thing. And so it shall be done. But it can't be done. Oh, but it will be done [cue sinister voice]... It's all going to go wrong. No it isn't. Look guys, this isn't the ideal world where academics and dreamers live. This is the real world, where people fuck up, penny-pinch, cheat, or steal. It's all going to go horribly wrong.

The only difference is the Euro-fanatics managed to just get over the line, and get their dream built before they ran out of political momentum. Just in time for it to slowly turn into a nightmare. Whereas IPv6 seems to be stuck forever in limbo.

It makes my brain hurt. I hope all the plug and pray stuff works properly, if it ever does come in. Because I have enough trouble with home/small office IPv4 networks - and I'm never going to remember one of those huge IPv6 addresses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon