Reply to post: Re: Same old

Stalwart hatchback gets a plug-in: Volkswagen e-Golf

Vic

Re: Same old

EV's are like Marmite, they either work for you or they don't

Exactly so.

mine works for me as they could and would for many people if they could just get over this dependence on having an ICE in the car!

I'm glad - nay, jealous - that EVs work for you. I wish they'd work for me. At present, they don't.

I don't have an issue with driving onto my drive plugging my car into the external charging port on my drive

I don't have a drive. My vehicle is parked 6 doors up the road, and on the other side. That's as close as I could get when last I parked it. It is simply not possible for me to charge an EV from my house unless the rules are changed to give me priority parking outside my own house. Even then, that's going to mean draping cables across the pavement, which is going to lead to difficulty.

I have 4 Rapid Chargers within 19 miles two of which are under 2miles yet I hardly ever use them even though they are free!

According to this site, there are 9 points (of any sort) within 20 minutes' drive of me. 4 of them are marked as having "restricted access". At least 6 of them incur parking charges, and at least 8 of them (maybe all - the info is missing on one) require a subscription "from £12 a month". This doesn't make for easy logistics...

People need to stop picking faults in this emerging technology and accept it for what it is

Accepting it for what it is is exactly why people pick faults - for many of us, it's a nonsensical way of trying to arrange travel, however much we'd love for that not to be the case.

Range Bashing is tedious

But it's an important part of how vehicles are used!

Next Friday, I have to drive some 80 miles in Friday-night traffic. I then need to leave my vehicle there (where there most definitely no charging points), and return to it the following day. I'll then need to do the same 80-mile trip in reverse. Whilst there is one 13A point *fairly* close to where I need to park up, it's still a drive away, and I can't leave the vehicle there overnight.

So it's all very well saying that "range-bashing is tedious", but if the range available doesn't match the range required, the tool is simply not appropriate.

So whilst I'd love to have an EV, even this simple journey would defeat the Golf in the article, and many other EVs to boot. And this is no major expedition...

Vic,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon