Reply to post: Re: Poor attempt

Snowden is FREE to ESCAPE FROM RUSSIA, say officials

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Poor attempt

> I think

My dear fellow AC, may I enquire whether your familiarity with the Russian Federation goes beyond your exposure to mainstream Western media?

Ironically, in my experience, the common Russian citizen, subject mostly to Russian mainstream media, seems to have a much less distorted view of the West than the other way around.

To put an example: Ask a Saudi what they think of Israel and they'll tell you they eat Arab children for breakfast. Ask an Israeli what they think of Saudi Arabia and they'll tell you they eat Jewish children for lunch. In reality, both are quite decent people and both have a strong preference for coffee during breakfast and chicken and rice, or vegetarian dishes, for their noon meal. But you wouldn't know that unless you lived long term in both places (which I have).

Nothing beats first hand experience to realise to what extent the media distorts things, usually for commercial and/or political interests. I would more or less understand if at least they did it out of sincere ideological convictions, but that's rarely the case. :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon