Reply to post: Experts . . .

Australia's metadata debate is an utter shambles

dan1980

Experts . . .

I saw that interview this morning. That's the one where he said that "all the experts agree" that we need these laws.

ALL the experts Mr Abbott? Or just those who are already pushing for these laws - like the AFP, ASIO and various other local and international police/security/spy agencies?

How many privacy experts have you asked? How many independent law experts? How many professors and academics? For that matter, how many tech experts?

Hell, all the ISPs tell you it's a bad idea and are against it, but they must be pretty unreliable, especially as they don't even realise they are 'already collecting the data' anyway. Silly ISPs - thinking they know their own business better than the government.

And I'll tell you the expert you most definitely neglected to ask: me.

What am I an expert in? I am the most eminent thinker and leading expert on "genies I am willing to let out of the bottle in order to be protected from 'terror', crime 'in general' and my neighbour dumping rubbish illegally".

Of course, both sides of politics believe they know my mind better than I do or simply don't care.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon