Reply to post: I think we're in luck

It's War: Internet of things firms butt heads over talking-fridge tech standards

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I think we're in luck

Because companies aren't going to want to work together if they believe the market will be as big as they say. The ones that invest money on R&D and get all this working seamlessly aren't going to want to let others leverage their hard work for free. They'll see it as a competitive advantage if the appliances they sell can are network enabled in some sort of (they believe) useful way. That's an advantage that would presumably increase their sales, not something to be handed over for free.

Then you have the device makers, the Apples, Googles etc. that aren't selling the IoT devices but will sell the devices that talk to them, and write the software that integrates with them. It is easier for them if everyone agrees on a standard, but if they can get LG or GE to pay them to support their appliances' protocol, why not?

Don't count out the ISPs and cell carriers either, they'll want to figure out a way they can get their hands in this pie, and will want to offer branded service that makes it harder for customers to switch to a competitor.

So I won't worry about this useless crap becoming standardized anytime soon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon