Reply to post: Re: @h4rmony

Panic like it's 1999: Microsoft Office macro viruses are BACK

h4rm0ny

Re: @h4rmony

>>>>I actually don't see anywhere that you said you weren't talking about security.

>>Let's see here, did you see me actually talking about security in that post?

Well it's a story about security, you began you post with a quote about detecing when an email attachment was a security threat and replied to that quote with a list of attachment types you liked... which included PDFs and ODF. This is a pretty silly tangent, btw - you objecting to my saying PDFs shouldn't be considered secure by saying that (with nothing to suggest this, incidentally) that you weren't considering security. Okay, so that doesn't make what I said incorrect in any way, you just want to make clear that despite the subject and what everyone else is talking about, you were just launching off on a subject of your own. No problem. Let's move on.

>>"Attacking people is not my hobby, ignorance is what I like to attack."

Uh, no. If you start a post by saying you feel threatened by people's ignorance if they send an attachment you don't approve of, that's attacking them. Well, us, really, seeing as many of us do like / use those formats. Calling us "ignorant" is a threat. And given two people so far in this thread have had to explain about macros in ODF to you (one of your approved formats), "ignorant" isn't really fair, either.

>>"So these are "common parts" and "the real world" already? Viruses and trojans are also a common part of the real world as well as virus scanners and antivirus software. There is a simple way to remove these common parts and from everyone's real world: use free, non proprietary software and file formats, period."

Firstly, that doesn't address the part of my post you quoted, or any part in fact. Secondly, it's factually wrong. I can write malware using macros in Libre Office that relies on exactly the same principles of user ignorance as macros in MS Office. The only difference is that MS Office would run the macros in a lower privilege state than Libre Office even if you did enable them. The fact that they're (both) open, doesn't provide security. Equally I could write a GNU/Linux trojan this afternoon and it would be written entirely in Open Source code. You are confusing what Open Source is about. It's NOT about limiting functionality - which is why Libre Office has macros, to use the current example.

>>>>PDFs should not be on any preferred list is all that I'm arguing.

>>I am arguing the opposite, at least,

Specifically, the quote you have taken from my post above is talking a preferred list for security / trustworthiness. Arguing that PDFs should be more trusted is stupid as they have a known history as a method of malware delivery. And users do not distinguish between different versions of the PDF standard or check what extensions may be enabled.

>>it is good that you are not making my preferred list.

Okay.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon