Reply to post: I've seen that before as well.

True story, you couldn’t make it up.

jcitron

I've seen that before as well.

I had a Compaq Proliant 6000 go down. It shutdown and I couldn't restart it. Okay... it must be the power supply or something. At the time we were being serviced by one of the dumbest, most idiotic helpdesk companies anyone could ever hire. Talk about a helpless desk! I hated calling them for anything, but because we had to play nice with corporate, we had to go through them. I called the 800-number listed on the side of the server which rang up to the very same helpless desk I didn't want to deal with.

I bit my lip and begrudgingly told the representative the problem. She said she'll send out a technician to have a look. Now mind you, this is a server and not someone's desktop PC which I usually fixed before the techs came over from the helpless desk.

The technician, who was dispatched "right away", finally came two days later. He looked at the server and said "Yup, it's broken" and left to get the part which was supposed to be replaced the next day.

Well 3-days later, after I kept pestering them about the job, the tech comes in and can't replace the part as he brought the wrong model. He must've written down the wrong part number or something! Finally he comes in now a full week since the failure, and replaced the motherboard.

When we split off from the parent company, we brought in our own service contractor for the servers and never had that kind of issue again. That helpdesk company, we dealt with, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy a year after that incident. I wonder why!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon