Reply to post: Re: I'm not dead yet! I don't want to go on that cart!!

Panic like it's 1999: Microsoft Office macro viruses are BACK

BongoJoe

Re: I'm not dead yet! I don't want to go on that cart!!

Before long people will be asking for code to edit or even create .txt, .csv. .xml files and the rest.

I can't begin to think what I haven't done with VBA over the years. Like everything else it's a powerful tool and putting it into a sandbox is getting around the real problem -- users bringing files onto the machine to run in the first place.

The current restrictive policies that MS have in place at moment is all down to the time when we had the Melissa and the ILoveYou virus sometime back in the last century. But cutting off VBA at the knees because of some malignent software is like saying thae we ought to stop C and C# applications writing to the hard drive too because someone may do something naughty with it too.

And, yes, I have written VBS to edit templates. Why? For lots of clients, who may be small firms with minimal skills I used to supply templates for their office: Memo, Letter, Long Document, Fax (in those days) and so on. I would have the basic VBA in those templates but they may decide to change their forrmatting.

Rather than pester me all the time for changes I gave them a tool which would change their document templates; such as Styles, Paragraphing, Tabs and Numbering. All those horrible things that most people couldn't understand or found it hard to use the inbuilt dialog boxes. So, in these cases I improved upon it by making them a VBA application which would do it for them.

In the days of the 'improved' Office interface such tools are even more useful than before. So, why stop VBA from editing .dot and .dotx files?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon