Reply to post: Re: Be careful what you ask for.

We need to talk about SPEAKERS: Sorry, 'audiophiles', only IT will break the sound barrier

TkH11

Re: Be careful what you ask for.

Similar things have been said to me by colleagues in the recording business, that the speakers used in studio setups are not suited to home use because speakers for use in a studio have different design goals, to have a totally flat response, to show every thing wrong with the sound so it can be corrected by the studio engineer.

I eventually opted at home for some active monitors from Dynaudio, and have found very, very little that can beat them. And I can listen for many hours at a time, and they compare to a separate amp and speaker configuration of home hi-fi costing many times more.

They are revealling, very revealing and if the original source CD hasn't been mixed very well they do show it up.

A classic example of this is an album by Garbage called 'Garbage' is just that, it's garbage.

The quality of recording and mixing is terrible.

But fortunately, few albums are this poorly produced, and whilst one or two may p**ss me off, on the whole, the very revealing nature of those monitors does give a greatly increased pleasure to the listening experience of much of the music I have.

An album by Tori Amos, with a conventional consumer grade equipment hi-fi, I wasn't particularly keen on her, play her album Under the Pink through my active monitors andy my opinion changed, and ever squeek of every piano key can be heard, the short intakes of breath heard, the detail that's there on the original recording will blow you away.

So, I think you can do a home setup with studio monitors, if you select the right studio monitors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon