Reply to post: MS should have

Windows 7, XP and even Vista GAIN market share again

RISC OS

MS should have

Subsidised manufacturers to make every laptop with Windoes 8 have a touchscreen. They have billions, they can afford it. Screens are the most expensive part of a laptop, most people just can't afford a good spec laptop with a touchscreen. If it's a choice between a good spec laptop or an expensive touchscreened laptop with low specs I know what I would choose, and clearly buyers made the same choice.

But win 8 was designed for touchscreens, so most people that have it can't see the benefit or need of having the OS, they then tell their friends that there is no point in upgrading and you have the stats that are presented in this article.

MS shot themselves in the foot. Plus of course there is the crap software centre... the apps are terrible, they are all ad platforms designed to make money. Most are useless or complete the same as 50 other apps by the same developer. The quality of most apps is just dire. Also it's hard to know where the data for these metro apps is being stored. I don't trust using the apps because I have no idea how to migrate the data somewhere else. The only metro app I use is yahoo mail, apparently this is one of the most used metro apps. It's not brilliant but shows what metro apps could be if time and development were spend on the apps instead of people just dumping clones of apps laced with adverts: There was whole series of shit database apps that I found: "My book collection", "My cd collection"... you name it, it had an app. They were all the same, just a one word label change. The apps were terrible.

Also MS should have invested more on showing devs how to "design" metro apps. Devs are not know for strong design skills and metro apps require design skills to make them look great be a pleasure to use... this is something that will be difficult for MS to overcome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon