Reply to post: Agencies out of control? Or is it the employers.....

Agencies out of control? Or is it the employers.....

Corinne
Flame

Agencies out of control? Or is it the employers.....

Looking for a new job at the moment, and it's a bit of a pain with 2-300 applicants for every role in my field so I can sort of understand the agencies being selective about who they put forward. However I've noticed an alarming trend recently - agencies who say they are "required by their client" to get phone references before they will even submit a CV to their client.

Considering that each agency will submit at least 3-5 CVs for each role, and many roles are advertised by up to 4 agencies, that means 15-20 CVs submitted to the end client for a role. So there's up to 40 people being called for a reference on an ex-employee (2 references required for each) for a single job. No guarantee of even getting an interview let alone the actual job, so how many of these calls will the poor refereee get until the applicant gets a role?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want people I like & respect being pestered avery few days to spend 20 minutes on the phone when they've spent time writting a very nice recommendation on LinkedIn that the agency has already read before calling them.

One agency has recently crossed a line IMO when they worked out who an ex-boss was by reading between the lines, tracked her down, and called her without asking me first or even mentioning it to me - I found out by accident when she mentioned it in an email!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020