Reply to post: Re: An update to the OP

Which qualifications are worthwhile?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: An update to the OP

To Thomas 4

"I do actually *enjoy* working with computers"

Yes, and so did I for the first few years, then slowly but surely I became a user when I walked out of the office. I now don't touch computers out of work other than as a user. I used to get a lot of side jobs fixing computers, the users were eternally gratefully for cleaning up whatever and I was promised anything from cash to nice a single malt for fixing them. Unfortunately, as most were people I knew, I trusted them, I'm still awaiting the first bottle! I digress. It reached a point were there were 4 computers stacked on top of each other waiting for me fix them as 'favours'. Over time I started to increase the repair time, to the point were I wasn't touching the PC for 1-2weeks, but even that didn't defer people. In the end I said, £50 minimum for me to look at it. This then had the desired effect, "PC World is cheaper", "Off you go then" was the reply.

These days everyone knows a computer 'expert' (I use that term very loosely) therefore the chances of standing out in PC hardware maintenance/1st line support role very difficult.

One final thought...

You wouldn't buy a car from Ford and then say, OK, teach me to drive. Why is it acceptable to buy a computer and then expect the seller to teach you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon