Reply to post: jake & AC

Dear Dominic, The Reg Career Agony Aunt

IT Hack

jake & AC

Thanks for the comments guys (or gals) . I appreciate that a great deal!

Consultancy sounds interesting. Never done it myself. Had dealings with consultants in the past though. Usually rectifying their cock ups. Then again I worked closely with another who was actually pretty damn good. Didn't use bullshit management speak when he was talking to the troops.

Thing is that one is still an employee to a consultancy and given my past experiences with some of the so-called big 5 I don't think there would be much difference between the two (in terms of my first post). Unless you mean as an independent consultant. Now that I would be interested in but I have no idea how to go about it. I don't have much in the way of certs, just 20 years of managing front line support & infrastructure teams. No degree, just a knack working with techies/sales/management* and dealing with escalations without going pyscho.

* management in terms of operational aspects of escalations and the such...keeping the right people informed in the right manner. Its when you (as a manager) delve into areas that need improving and get shot down its insane. Had a case where a bunch of mission crit kit was out of service by the vendor so made a business case to replace kit , was rejected due to cost, while some people were rewarded with some pretty extravagant and expensive gestures. Clearly the business was at risk. The attitude was that we'll fix it if it breaks. Despite my business case showing the cost to the business in the event of a failure. Unfathomable to me. The cost of new kit was minute compared to the cost of the extravagant gesture.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon