Reply to post:

A puzzle, a question

BlueGreen

> Since I don't know you, one possibility is that although you know your stuff, people don't realise it when they talk to you.

On the very rare occasions I talk IT out of work, it's clear I know my stuff. Possibly enough to scare some off, I wonder. Not considered that....

> They feel a bit uncomfortable in tutorial situations, possibly made worse by the fact that they know you.

Yes, that's a good point.

> If you want to push this I see two options, change what you offer or offer it to people who want what you have.

I don't want to take it further as I'm satisfied re. horses to water. As jake said, many people just can't be arsed (I paraphrase). Just cos they're people I know and like doesn't change that <sad shrug>. If I try harder it'll just annoy them and I've been very careful not to do that.

> 1: Do it as a lecture, say to some small bunch of people "I've got some Powerpoints on SMB, come to this pub on this day and I'll demo them". There's many pubs have rooms you can have on a slow night.

Ah interesting that, as I am seriously considering doing something similar at work for the assorted companies there (lots of small independent biz in a building), could be a good way of raising the lamentable level of UK IT, and getting my name round won't do any harm.

I'm also ramrodding training through at work. Had to fight the boss for that but he's not so bad.

> 2: Help with Young Rewired State http://youngrewiredstate.org/

Thanks! Will look into it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon