Reply to post: Re: This is an IMPROVEMENT

Virgin Media's latest throttling rules

Wardy01

Re: This is an IMPROVEMENT

Sorry to hear your not happy.

The hint is in the bit that reads "top 5% of users" the plan is to "add this type of thing" to those users packages to ensure that they are kept in check from what i understand.

It doesn't mean that the second you down more than 5GB during a peak time you will be treated like a criminal.

I do torrent, a lot ... last night over night i downloaded over 100GB via torrent.

My experience of the internet these days is that a correctly configured client on a correctly configured windows install connected to a correctly configured router on a correctly configured line is super rare and I have spent hours getting my line right.

I'm a software developer myself and at one point went to the extreme of downloading the source code for my torrent client so i could examine what it was doing as i thought i was being throttled.

Further examination reveals that actually your probably not as hard hit as you might think.

It's a learning curve for VM they wont always get it right ... look at microsoft and windows ... how often do they get it right ... before the Iphone when did apple ever release a massive product ... what has google really done for us since search?

if you're really being hit hard by this talk to virgin, i found that just being polite to the right person at the right time can often reveal some neat trick to get you some extra boost they dont really want you to know about at times (like the fact that im on a 100MB package with a 120MB connection at the moment)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon