Reply to post: the traffic thats managed is everything

Virgin Media's latest throttling rules

Ojustaboo

the traffic thats managed is everything

According to Virgin, unlike what they said in your article, the traffic management applies to everything not just p2p and nntp.

They haver made this very clear on their forums.

for example

-----------------

We will still be moderating the total volume of P2P and Newsgroup as a whole during peak times, but the amount of P2P and Newsgroup data you upload and download will still count towards your traffic management thresholds. For more detail on P2P and Newsgroup traffic management click here.

-----------------

The main complaint on their forum is that those doing non p2p/nntp things are likely to very easily hit their limit.

For example, if your on the 60 limit you can only download 5GB as a fair amount. If I brought the music software package I was looking at earlier for 150 euros, it's a 8GB download. Not only would I exceed my fair usage limit.

If someone says buys Starwars online, thats around a 20GB download, on the 100 service that's double your fair use.

Netflix streaming in HD is something like 800MB in 15 mins.

Most people pay for the top tier for one of 3 reasons.

1) So that when they need to download a biog file quickly, they can do so .

2) Lots of users in the house.

3) people upgraded from the 20 to the 50 as they introduced management on the 20, then when the 100 came out, people paid extra for the 100 as they introduced management for the 50.

Now management is on all tiers, 4 users in one household, one gaming, one watching netflic etc, we can soon hit limits.

In reality they are selling an ever faster service when a lot of their network cant handle it. Most people would rather a 20 unmanaged unthrottled service than a promise of 100 that's constantly throttled. Took me 42 mins last night to download a 351mb file that's more than a 50% cut.

If I am legally using the net (surely someone that pays for 100 does so due to heavyish use) and I hit my cap at 8:55, even though their management ends at 9pm, I have it for a further 5 hours as a penalty/fine?????????

Virgin state "As an example, a size: XL customer on our 60Mb service can download 5,000MB between 4pm and 9pm on a weekday before they are traffic managed. During this time that customer would have to download 7 standard definition movies or 1,250 songs before a 5 hour temporary speed reduction was applied,"

What about someone that plays something like WOW and there#s a large update, what about Skyrim I brought from steam a few weeks ago, that's 5.6GB or Portal; 2 from steam that was 10.5GB? A user pays for fast broadband, buys a game then ends up managed for 5 hrs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon