back to article Nintendo celebrates Legend of Zelda silver anniversary

Twenty-five years ago today, The Legend of Zelda hit shelves in Japan and one of the most popular game franchises of all time was born. The Legend of Zelda Long before a link was popularised as a clickable internet shortcut, it was also the name of a loveable character on the NES. A quarter of a century and 15 titles later, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Si 1
    Happy

Getting old?

Undoubtedly I am getting old, I still vividly remember my first time on Super Mario Bros on the NES. That said I didn't discover the more cerebral Zelda series until the GameBoy iteration, at which point I was totally hook-shotted on the series.

Ocarina of Time is still my favourite of the series (closely followed by Zelda III), but I still look forward to new instalments even if they do often feel like re-arrangements of Ocarina rather than distinctive new games.

2. !phil!

25 years!

yeah feeling pretty old about now...

3. Trygve Henriksen
    Coat

Another Ocarina?

Sure, it's the best Zelda game ever, but with a new platform, couldn't we also get a new game?

(Rated 'best' in my books by feel, not for how far I got into it. I royally suck at that game... Still dig out the N64 now and then to try again... )

Mine's the coat with the GBA in the pocket.

4. squilookle
    Thumb Up

Title

Happy birthday to the series (one of my favourites), let's hope it generates more excellent games for a long time to come.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mah boi

This is what all true warriors strive for!

The one with the Triforce keychain, thanks.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Joke

OH BOY!

the king's voice... I can't get it out of my head!

6. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I'm actually going through Ocarina again for about the 10th time on my old N64, although the poor old beastie is having some colour issues - I have to switch it off and on about 20 times on average until it delivers a blue sky rather than red :)

It's still a great game to play. I tried it on my old gamecube (the masters edition) but I wasn't keen on the controller.

It would be just perfect if someone ported it to my xbox and upgraded the graphics and put in some more quests.

Go gerudo valley!

1. squilookle
      Thumb Up

I downloaded Ocarina

from the Wii shop, because I could find my N64 but not the Ocarina cartridge (it turned up about a week after I downloaded the game. D'oh!)

I wasn't keen on using the Gamecube controller at first, but I got used to it by the time I reached the forest temple. :)

Oh well.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If they ever put Link on a Mario Kart title...

... please, just please, let him run on Epona. Just for kicks, a horse that can go as fast as a kart. An unlockable, just for fun.

My coat is the one with a bow and quiver of arrows strapped in the back. Thanks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

How time flies

I remember wasting more money than a young teen should have on the Super Mario Bros arcade.

I remember the christmas I opened the golden box to get the golden ticket (NES game) and my parents grumbling that I was wasting my life and would never get anywhere.

Oh, I do remember the good ol' days. We did not have it as easy as the kids today do with realistic graphics and 3D effects.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like