back to article Toshiba £300 'entry level' Froyo tablet back on sale next month

Toshiba will not be canning its Folio 100 10.1in Android tablet when its 10.1in Android Tablet arrives on the scene. The Folio, which has at last received Adobe certification for its implementation of Flash, paving the way for its re-introduction after being dropped by exclusive supplier Dixons in November 2010, will return to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lloyd
    FAIL

So it won't run Android 3.0

And therefore is obsolete prior to launch? A bit brainless is it not? Especially as Google have been saying not to stick 2.2 on pads because it's designed specifically for phones. I used to like Toshiba as a brand but in the last 10 years they seem to be going a Matsui frankly.

2. dotdavid
    FAIL

Hardware requirements

"because it doesn't meet Google's Honeycomb hardware requirements."

More like it doesn't meet Toshiba's profitability requirements creating a Honeycomb build for it. I wish companies wouldn't lie through their teeth like that.

3. Brian Gannon

Entry level

I still think £300 is to high for entry level. I would like to see something under the £200 mark. It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing. If anyone could get a 8.9 capacitive screen, Wifi only, Android 3 device out at that price they would clean up.

4. Peter Kay

What they said..

Tony et al, can you please start trashing companies who don't implement the Android platform properly, or who you know even before launch will have minimal future proofing?

300 quid is not 'entry level' and the inability to upgrade is likely to drive even greater fragmentation of Android devices. It's precisely why I haven't bought one - Google are right, Android 2.2 is a phone OS scaled up, not a computer OS scaled down.

Apple must be laughing their socks off. I don't rate their platform at all, but a properly managed closed platform may well outperform a poorly structured 'open' platform where every new device seems to have a different marketplace.

1. Cameron Colley

@Peter Kay

Oh, scary, "fragmentation" I hate it when I buy a device and it does what it says it will when I buy it then, a while later, can't use the fastest software.

I bet that Mr Jobs will stop all future Apple products from doing anything the first iPhones couldn't, to stop "fragmentation".

Written on my pesky "Lenny" Pc which can't run "Squeeze" applications! What a con! I bought it less than 5 years ago! I must swap it for a PowerPC!

1. Peter Kay

Not the same..

Five months is one thing, six months is another - which is roughly how the development cycle of Android products and releases is going at the moment. As already mentioned, Android 3.0 is due out soon, so this product will be obsolete at launch.

Does the product do what it says? Yes it does - the same as the Creative Android tablet cum MP3 player. The supplemental question, though, is : should Android succeed? If so, all these flawed devices do not help.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

This isn't the launch.

It appears to have been "launched as in reviewed" in September 2010 (unless that's a typo on a review web page), and on sale in November. That's five months ago and three months ago. And presumably there's a lot of 'em in a warehouse somewhere. Still, I'd evaluate carefully, and maybe look for a discount from list price.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/toshiba-folio-100-review-50000606/ - for it was they - reckoned that they had a wi-fi-only, no Android market, model, to look at, and a version with 3G would show up at "the start of 2011".

5. RegisterThis
    Thumb Up

USB x2 ... Yummy!

Mini and full size ... perfect. Mini for connecting to other mobile devices and full size to allow it to take the place of a laptop or netbook. In my view almost the top priority for tablkets to be useful ... err ... plus a few other things ... but this is the main thing missing that prevents me from jumping at an iPad or Tab is its inability to replace my laptop properly as a lightweight hub for other devices.

6. codml
    FAIL

Expensive and Late

I bought my Archos 101 at the end of last year. It has all those features and only cost £250!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Me too!

I have to admit I love my Archos 101, scaled up phone it might be, but.... films on the train, 8 hours battery life, tethered to my mobile, exchange email, spotify remote... brilliant! :) doesn't matter that it isn't Android 3... Sure it ain't an iPad, but it wasn't iPad price either!

7. Weird_George
    Thumb Down

0.2MP?

"0.2Mp and 5MP front- and rear-facing cameras"

0.2MP? Are you sure? That's not even 640x480. If it's true it's ridiculous.

8. Alan Twelve

Google's Honeycomb hardware requirements

Did I miss the announcement of the minimum requirements for Honeycomb? Last I remember was Google's Dan Morrill denying that there were minimum requirements (some time in Jan?).

9. PaulR79
    FAIL

Doesn't meet the hardware requirements?

If true, which I doubt given the way Google have denied minimum requirements in the past, the only thing it could possibly be is a minimum display resolution. The thing has a Tegra 2 processor, what else could it be? I still highly doubt it's true and as many people suspect is just a way to try and force early adopters to buy the newer and vastly more expensive model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like