back to article Ariane 5 is go: Skynet 5B military chat-sat on the way

The British military communications satellite Skynet 5B launched successfully from Kourou in French Guiana at 2206 GMT last night. The spacecraft will complete the UK armed forces' planned new generation of orbital communications coverage. Ariane V launching Skynet Arianespace's strategic role. Skynet 5B was supposed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon.W
    Stop

I am reading this correctly...

in order for Paradigm to get paid it is absolutely essential that war and conflict continues anywhere in the world and the British Military have to be involved.

Is Paradigm an American corp perchance?

Could it be that other companies are using this business model and this could be one of the many reasons that conflicts go on and on?

15 year life span huh? I guess we know how much longer Iraq’s going to last.

2. Ross

15 years

[Its operational life, like the other Skynet 5 satellites, is expected to exceed 15 years]

Presuming the Chinese don't shoot it down...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Economy of War

The US government puts so much into its war-chest that it needs to be regularly emptied to keep the economy stable, hence Americas fixation with a war every 20 years.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paradigm

The New Paradigm will attempt to conquer the world in 2100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warzone_2100#Alpha_campaign

http://wz2100.net/

5. Ian Yates
    Alert

Tinfoil

I think everyone's missing the points here... Skynet is now fully operational.

Will tinfoil hats protect us from the robots?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Dooomed

How long before it becomes self aware?

Your tinfoil hats wont do you any good then.

Lead codpieces at the ready.

7. John Fields

No Fate

I hope we have detailed files on whoever created this program.

8. Sebastian Meer
    Alert

Sarah Connor

If your name is Sarah Connor, start looking over your shoulder NOW!

9. Simon Bradshaw

Title

Seeing as how Skynet 1A was launched in 1969, perhaps the MOD should have been suing James Cameron for royalties - it might have helped pay for the later ones!

(And to answer one of the other questions, Paradigm is an offshoot of Astrium, which is Anglo-French, but I understand that the Skynet 5 PFI is financed mainly by a bunch of Japanese banks.)

10. Johan Struwwelpeter
    Paris Hilton

Paris Hiton

If your name is Paris Hilton , do something raunchy NOW! Cause we all missed you a lot .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like