back to article M&S signs up to O2 location grab

High street stalwart Marks & Spencer has joined the O2 More service, pushing out free smoothies to O2 customers passing by their doors. O2 added location-based messaging to the opt-in service last October, offering to push SMS and MMS messages out to customers based on their location, which now includes being near an M&S …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

Blockers

"such advertising becomes as accepted as the adverts one is obliged to see when searching the web, or reading most of it."

Indeed. And a decent phone will soon come with a handy app that will nealty trash all these ads (and optionally spoof you location to ensure privacy).

With regards to web ads - if they didn't flash so much, contract with the site, take up excessive bandwidth and make the content nigh-on impossible read; I wouldn't block them (nor would I use GraseMonkey to "re-edit" sites to make them usable).

2. David Perry 2

It worked...

..we're talking about a fancy food and clothing/undies shop on a tech newspiece!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

title

"My Fake Location" on android is just such a spoofing tool. Combine with facebook places and it's mischief ahoy!

- I'll get my coat, or have I already left?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmm....

Fake location to your operator?

I take it you guys don't understand the rather simple matter of a CellID?

These guys aren't asking the phone where it is, they *know* where it is as it's on their network!

1. dogged

Excuse Me While I Locate My GSM Engineer Hat

Excuse me, this hat is getting a little old now but...

That only works in the vicinity of a microcell. Otherwise, your location could be anywhere in a radius of up to 2000m, unless you happen to be in a crossover in which case triangulation can narrow it down a bit. A significant bit but not enough for "you're now passing Marks & Sparks, please buy some knickers".

The Plod spent ages trying to convince us that "you guys can track anyone with a mobile phone" and they were wrong, too.

You're thinking of GPS. My phone doesn't have that. For an excellent reason.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like