back to article The Pirate Bay launches music sharing site

The Pirate Bay, the controversial Swedish piracy torrent tracker, is launching a music site where users can share as much music as they want. Playable.com is a collaboration between The Pirate Bay, members of the Swedish rock band Lamont, and their manager Kristopher S Wilbur. A statement said: "The shared insight that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is just one snag...

"Last year, the popular file sharing network eDonkey agreed to pay $30m to settle a case brought by six music labels. P2P networks have succumbed one by one since the US Supreme Court ruled in June 2005 that file sharing services are illegal. "

There is just one simple problem with that. The US Supreme Court doesn't decide over Sweden. No matter how much the US may believe they're the rulers of the world, Sweden does have their own legal system and their own set of laws.

2. Phil

Survival of the fittest?

"P2P networks have succumbed one by one since the US Supreme Court ruled in June 2005 that file sharing services are illegal. "

Bittorrent, which I have to say is my P2P medium of choice, appears to be surviving pretty well...

All that is achieved by bringing down one network is shifting its users to another. And as the easy targets are taken down, the harder ones will remain. The music lobby is fighting a losing battle, somewhat akin to the prohibitionists. People will find ways of getting what they want, the way they want it.

As much as they may spend time and resources trying to destroy it, there are more people, and probably more talented people willing to advance P2P technology. One day, 'untraceable' P2P may be a reality, and then the music industry is really up the creek...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future is now

"One day, 'untraceable' P2P may be a reality"

It's already a reality. I haven't bought a CD in 10 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.