back to article Sony to spill PSP 2 beans this month

Information about the Sony PSP 2 will be made public soon, with an official announcement round the corner. Industry moles have divulged the news to gaming trade title MCV that all will be revealed at an event in Tokyo on 27 January. Major developers are already working on titles for the device after publishers were informed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Brown

cant wait.

hoepfully they have learned a lot from the original psp and the ps3. I love both, but a lot of the integration failed to materalise.

hopefully this one will be a vastly upgraded Go, with 2 nubs. i really hope they dump UMD, and go digital again.

2. Pypes

The problem with the PSP

The problem with the PSP was always that Sony practically denied the thing existed, it had practically no marketing after it's initial launch with the exception of a bit of buzz in the gaming press every time a new model came out.

It is however a seriously good hand-held, not only in that it can mop the floor with the DS specs wise, but it also has a web browser, will let you watch movies and play music you drop on the memory stick, stream video from your PSP, listen to internet radio, work as a skype phone etc. It's only now, right at the end of it life, that some of the more expensive smart phones can replicate it's full set of features.

On a side note they are pretty well catered for in terms of jail-breaking and custom firmware, having a snes emulator with a 4' screen in your pocket is never a bad thing.

Lets just hope the PSP2 has 2 analogue sticks,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

The REAL problem with the PSP

<quote>It is however a seriously good hand-held, not only in that it can mop the floor with the DS specs wise, but it also has a web browser, will let you watch movies and play music you drop on the memory stick, stream video from your PSP, listen to internet radio, work as a skype phone etc.</quote>

It's telling that you didn't (or couldn't) include 'games' in that list of yours. The *real* problem with the PSP it was virtually devoid of any quality games. As $ony (and their customers) found out 'DS beating specs' != a better portable gaming experience...

1. Pypes

Games......

I thought the line "mop the floor with the DS specs wise" implied gaming performance.

As far as I'm concerned the PSP has a huge list of exclusive titles, especially for fans of popular series. You like final fantasy? God of War? Valkyria Chronicles? RFoM? They all have PSP exclusive titles, and with a degree of depth and breadth of content similar to their "big boy" console equivalents.

If there was "problem" with the PSP games library then it's that Sony never took the system down the casual shovel-ware road that Nintendo loves so much.

3. Matt_payne666

sony...

ok, so they have new hardware... now they need to take a leaf from Nintendo and Microsoft...

Get some decent titles... that will be available... then... PROMOTE the damn thing!! how many kinect games and adverts have been filling the tv since its release and how many Move adverts have there been? and how many move adverts actually showing move games!!! hell, since release ive been TRYING to buy games for my new controllers!

The PSP go was cool, but there was hardly any advertising for the device! If the PSP2 is as much of a leap forward as I hope, it should be pretty awesome! I still live my original PSP, but again, havent bought a game for over a year... mostly for the lack of titles.. decent or otherwise!!

4. Geoff Spick

Sony Squad - anti heroes

Sony should have learned much from the PSP failings, iPhone and other rivals. But getting those lessons past the army of Sony suits, divisions and Japanese cultural quirks is another matter... here's hoping

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

PSP Browser is pants - but iPhone virtual sticks are too

Dont listen to anyone who says the PSP has a browser.

It's so poor that it might as well not have one at all.

They even added Flash but stupidly only supported a very old version of it - which doesnt do video.

The iPhone browser is far far better.

Having said that, iPhone games suffer because virtual joysticks are useless.

iPhone games which use them are really hard to control.

There is a gap in the market for a decent GAMES machine.

6. Fractured Cell

Personally,

I would like a PSP 2 with two nubs, an L2 & R2, and enough grunt to play PS2 games, perhaps backed up by a store selling PSP 2 ports/versions of said games.

1. LeBeourfCurtaine
      Pint

What he said

....although we're still waiting for PS2 emulation to be switched back on on't PS3....

1. miknik

Waiting for PS2 games on PS3?

You might be, I'm not. It's somewhat akin to buying a bluray player and wanting to play VHS on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like