back to article HP lands $2.5bn NASA IT support deal

NASA has outsourced its end-user computing services to HP, in an up to 10-year, $2.5bn deal. HP's Enterprise Services division - formerly known as EDS - will deliver most of the space agency's hardware and software requirements for desktop and mobile. The contract will be managed at the NASA Shared Services Center in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. james4765
    Thumb Up

Oh, Good.

I have friends who work at NASA, and the fail is strong with Lockheed-Martin. EDS isn't much better, having done a mediocre job at barely managing the US Navy's network, but they are better.

18 month hardware refresh cycles. Desktop techs working in labs that don't understand science. Reclassifying the computers running experiments as "lab equipment" so they don't have to put a smart card reader in and log out of the computer as soon as you walk away, among other secure-but-WTF?! measures from the paranoids in the security department.

I'm so glad I work in private industry...

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Space Master Pilots for Remote Proxy Virtual Command and Control. Raw Power Exercise.

"I'm so glad I work in private industry..." .... james4765 Posted Wednesday 29th December 2010 15:33 GMT ..... which is a public training place and virtually surreal space for Information Processing to Dream Specification ..... for Real High Definite Visionaries

Space is a private place ...... and immaculately protected with mind blowing defenses of omniscient grand design

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

the Big boys get even bigger.

CSC + HP (formerly EDS)

What can go wrong?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CSC?

It was all looking so good until I read those 3 little letters :-(

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Joy

So when it breaks in a years time because of shoddy workmanship/known issues/ all of the above they'll deny all knowledge, ram the cost upi and expect NASA to shell out for new kit to replace the defective crap they were sold to start with.

Anon because i've already hacked off HPs legal dept once.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP

HP (and formerly EDS) have a similar contract for another space agency. When I first started there, they gave me a desktop complete with a trojan pre-installed. Macafee didn't spot the thing for almost two weeks.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Stuxnet in space!

Takes over ISS, deorbit ensues...

7. pAnoNymous
    Happy

Indian Space Boost

EDS (HP) = "Best" (cheapest) Shorring = India

I expect the Indian space program will get a massive boost from this. Oh well, it be nice to see someone on the moon.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Blighty Boot Notes for Bounteous Booty

It is just wonderful and quite amazing what you can do with Alien Space Phorms on Advanced IntelAIgent Missions for GOD knows who.

Global Operating Devices always do.

9. Hass80
    FAIL

Cue the following message

Houston.....We have a problem

1. Morten Bjoernsvik
      Thumb Down

@Hass80

No it will be Bangalore.... we have a problem.

10. kain preacher

first rule of out sourcing

Never admit a mistake.

Second rule. Charge the customer for that mistake and tell them it was and unforeseen incident .

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I'm sure it'll go swimmingly, unless the economy turns around.

Then it's mass exodus time. Check out the employee reviews tab. Not a happy bunch.

http://www.proletar.com/By-Employees/HP.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like