back to article Ballmerized Nigerian PCs might run Mandriva after all

Those Nigerian PCs might run Mandriva after all. Last week, Mandriva CEO François Bancilhon sent an open letter to his counterpart at Microsoft, claiming that Steve Ballmer had somehow convinced the Nigerian government to slap Windows on 17,000 machines already loaded with Mandriva Linux. The Paris-based Linux-vendor had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes
    Flame

These aren't the laws we've broken. Move along!

"Microsoft operates its business in accordance both with the laws of the countries in which it operates and with international law."

Of course it does. That's why Microsoft has been convicted of illegal monopolistic and anti-competitive behavior twice in the USA and at least once in Europe.

2. Matthew Saroff
    Gates Horns

No Bribery Involved That's for Sure!

After all, we know that the Nigerian government, and Nigerian business are among the most scrupulously ethical in the world.

It's clear that Microsoft has been throwing around like a sailor on leave.

3. Steve Browne
    Thumb Down

What a load of twaddle

Do Microsoft forget their recent court hearing where they were ordered to provide interoperability access which they had previously declined to provide. The bit about complying with the laws in whichever jurisdiction they operate is patently false too. I mean, if they were complying with laws what were they doing in court ? or why do they have to pay more fines ?

Everyone knows what marketing "grants" really are. If you give me $400,000 I can do a spot of marketing for you. . And I rather suspect that quite a few African governments really get to enjoy their marketing promotions.

It just annoys me that they keep spouting this drivel, when even Microsoft must know that windows is a dog to work with.

4. BitTwister

Bwahaha

> Microsoft strongly believes that individuals, governments and other organisations should be free to choose the software and other technologies that best meet their needs.

Oh dear oh dear - that's got to be a cynical joke. Straight from the horse's mouth too. Microsoft really is without shame, along with being deaf & blind.

5. Captain DaFt
    Black Helicopters

@ BiTwister

> Microsoft strongly believes that individuals, governments and other organisations should be free to choose the software and other technologies that best meet their needs.

Not a joke, just a misunderstanding. The phrase "that best meets their needs", refers to Microsoft of course.

6. Anonymous Cowherd
    Dead Vulture

Same ethics

Microsoft might want consider moving their headquarters to Lagos. They would evidently fit right in.

"The estate of the late General Ono Morbaddata has three million copies of Vista and I am needing of some help with getting them out of the country..."

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Catch 'em whilst they're young - TOGS!

In the UK we have "educational marketing" funds from Mickey$haft to try and get Windows deeper and deeper into schools, as they know the kids of today are the decision makers of tomorrow (well, not the ones going to Arts school). This is proven by what is known as the TOGS factor (Technologically Old Git Syndrome). This is where the adherents to an old OS that they "grew up on" means they will insist said vendor's products must be better than anything new. This is the spawning ground of the celebrated Troll (yeah, I know, takes one to know one!). This is why I often run into TOGS where IT staff that got their first taste running VAX or PDP on ancient Alpha and insist that there is no way on Earth that a nice shiny new x86 box could possibly do what their ancient piece of steam-powered kit could do (if only they could get the spare for it, or support, or just get their Zimmer frames close enough to the desks). This is what M$ is after - the minds of the Nigerian youths. $400k is chump change if you get a whole country's future.

8. Colin Guthrie
    Thumb Up

Nigeria

Actually, although people are quick to judge the Nigerian government and it's predisposition to bribes etc, the new President is actually openly fighting corruption and unethical behaviour. I believe I read that he even recinded land allowance that his predecessor had gifted to government officials (which meant he himself lost out on the land). He's also openly declared all his assets which is further proof that he's trying to clean things up.

It could be something to do with that fund/award being offered to non-corrupt governments in Africa that I read about.... but maybe that's just cynical....

Anyway, I'm very glad they are going to stick with Mandriva. I'm sure they will be far happier with it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

who cares about the OS...

...as long s the classmate pc's can access the internet its only going to mean a whole new deluge of 419er e-mails...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Choice

The Nigerian government had already made their choice... they'd chosen !microsoft... what Microsoft was caught doing is criminal...

11. Joe

Microsoft, the criminal company

"...Microsoft has been convicted of illegal monopolistic and anti-competitive behavior twice in the USA and at least once in Europe."

I vote that from now on, Microsoft should always be referred to "Microsoft, the company convicted three times for illegal business practices, ...".

Other suggestions welcome!

12. Damien Jorgensen
    Gates Halo

Good for Nigerian

The Nigerian government has for forsight to see that Microsoft isnt going anywhere fast, so choosing Windows is a logical move to give its youth the skills they will need tomorrow.

Liux is afterall a nice little OS supported by some fans around the world, its not something to base your education system on.

13. Frank Haney
    Unhappy

@Steve Browne

"if they were complying with laws what were they doing in court?"

I suppose you've never heard of a trial where the accused was found not guilty. I wonder what they were doing in court.

14. David
    Gates Horns

3 strikes and...

"I vote that from now on, Microsoft should always be referred to "Microsoft, the company convicted three times for illegal business practices, ...". "

I vote for 3 strikes laws being extended globally to the founders of certain global companies :)

Threecrim (or 3crim?) do for a new name for mickey$loth? :)

15. john frey
    Black Helicopters

sorry David

Those laws are only for poor criminals, don't you know. Not many millionaires on death row and I dare say none serving for the 3 strikes rule either.

16. Don Mitchell

Linux and Bibles

The children in Nigeria are better off learning Windows and its applications, so they can participate in the global economy, and they are better off having the potential to start their own software industry instead of being trapped in the collectivized "utopia" of open source. Sending them Linux is like sending them Bibles -- they don't need our religion, they need to learn real skills on a real operating system.

17. A J Stiles
    Gates Horns

Re: Linux and Bibles

Is Don Mitchell a paid Microsoft shill or what?

Linux *IS* a "real operating system", and the skills learned on it *ARE* real -- a damn sight more so than "oh, it's crashed again, yes, it sometimes does that, just turn it off at the wall and back on again and it will probably work next time". They are also transferrable to Solaris, the BSDs and any other Unix implementation now known or to be invented. Skills learned in Linux applications are transferrable to Windows applications, if necessary -- the differences are vastly overstated. Or, because the majority of those Linux applications are Open Source, they can be run on top of Windows! If someone entering the corporate world really is more comfortable using OpenOffice.org than MS Office, then they need only install OpenOffice.org on their Windows computer.

Also, Open Source is the best way for the Nigerians, or for that matter any country without an established software industry, to get a software industry of their own started. But then, with a flourishing local software industry, they will have no need to keep on sending money to Redmond.

You can see why this must frighten the pants off Microsoft, who have only ever believed in "Teach a man to fish" as a means to sell expensive, proprietary bait.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

re:Linux and Bibles

Hate to break it to you, but Linux is a REAL operating system, needing REAL skills in a REAL world. At least 2/3 of all MICROSOFT server environments are also running LINUX servers in some capacity (my numbers are old - can't find updated, so they might even be higher). Those kids, by learning Linux skills, would be in high demand as Linux network technicians anywhere in the world.

And no, before anyone accuses me of being "One of Them," I don't use Linux myself. I am still using XP, with a new Macbook sitting in the box that I haven't had time to set up yet because I've been trying to finish the research paper on Operating Systems that's due this week...subject: Microsoft Vs Open Source. So the facts are sort of not far from my fingertips.

The truth is, those kids will have the opportunity to earn more money if they learn Linux simply because there are more Windows Technicians available than there are Linux Technicians. If even a few go on to study computer science, that's a few more than there would have been if Linux hadn't been installed on those computers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like