back to article Wave power prototype sinks after seven weeks

A prototype wave power installation has sunk off the Oregon coast. The company which designed the equipment described the project as "highly successful". The AquaBuOY before it sank The prototype before it successfully sank. The patented $2m "AquaBuOY 2.0", a massive 72-foot-tall floating vertical cylinder built by Oregon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Slappy
    Coat

Sorry

That went down well!

>Coat>Gone

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

dare I ask....

... what happened to v1.0? Someone spill a glass of water on it?

3. C
    IT Angle

what goes up

must come down,

and up, and down,

and up again, and .. err wait did it start out on the bottom of the ocean?

These wouldn't by chance be any of the same 'engineers' that 'over designed' windows

Cuz I've seen that thing sink like a stone many times. <= There's the IT angle for ya

</hat>

</coat>

</door>

4. Bad Beaver
    Paris Hilton

So?

It was not designed to resist, and it didn't, yet it did what it was supposed to do. What's the story?

5. Paul Silver

Bilge pump?

I'm not a seafaring engineer or anything, but I'd have thought a design with a floatation area emptied by a bilge pump was always going to be in trouble, especially if there's no one around to fix the pump.

Surely they'd have been better off filling that area with foam so it wouldn't flood at all?

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

They had a cunning plan

For the really paranoid, sinking the buoy may have been a way to attract attention the project otherwise lacked

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Bouy goes down on Newport - Paris Hilton angry she didn't do it first...

After three...

HAT!! COAT!!! TAXI!!!!

8. Geoff Mackenzie

Re: cunning plan

Yeah. Ten minutes ago I had never heard of it. Now I'll always think of it as the big yellow piece of shit that sank in the sea. :)

9. Tim Brown

I think...

...it's become self-aware (or received new orders from the Lizard Alliance) and has sunk into the depths in order to train aquatic life and form a new army. For is it not written:

"...and they shall rise up, and they shall crawl out of the slimy depths, and they shall nip our ankles with their claws ... for if thou dost hear the clicking, thou shall know the end has come..."

This topic is closed for new posts.