back to article Hitachi quietly slips in new, big hardness

Has the 3TB drive cookie crumbled with Hitachi GST's stealthy product, or will Samsung bring out its own 3TB EcoGreen drive? Hitachi GST has revealed the 3TB Deskstar 7K300 on its website, but with no PR fanfare. It's a 7,200rpm, 3.5-inch drive with a 6Gbit/s SATA interface, a first for Hitachi GST, and comes in 1TB, 2TB and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Areal density

One has areal density of "411in^2" and the other has a suggested areal density of "514sq^2", impressive units if nothing else!

2. Pondule
    Headmaster

Strange units

The areal density is 411 square inches???

3. BorkedAgain
    Happy

Scary.

I remember taking the piss out of a friend when he took delivery of his new Gateway desktop with its 1GB hard drive. Ridiculous to have so much storage on a home machine; he'd never fill it...

Now 1GB is considered unworkably restrictive in a mobile handset, which will routinely arrive with four times that storage on a card smaller than my fingernail. Seems the future arrived when I wasn't paying attention, and it's even less realistic than I expected...

1. Christoph
      Boffin

1GB?

You can run a perfectly good commercial program in 12K as long as you page sections of it in from the cassette drive.

(Can we have a "Four Yorkshiremen" icon?)

2. Diane Miller

Amen to that

The first HDD I ever used was a whopping 10MB, and I remember wondering at the time how I would ever use so much space.

God that makes me feel old...

4. cs94njw
    Grenade

Backup?

Each year we move further and further away from ways to actually backup all this data.

A colleague was saying, what we actually need is effectively a record to backup our data to.

Something solid and won't be affected by the Sunday doing a funky dance, or someone dropping a nuke a mile or two away.

Something you can backup lots to, but also keep for a large amount of time.

It's just a wating game before we start losing considerable amounts of data.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: backup

For most of us, this *is* the device you back up to.

If you are an enterprise sys-admin with users who generate this much data per day, all of which needs to be backed up for regulatory reasons, you may feel differently. But you are a minority.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Chris Stephens

All all humanites knowdge on one system

I can put 14 Hard discs in my computer the way its configured now. So I could have 56,000 GB..

Lets see... Thats ruffly 12,400 movies.. Its only 14 million MP3 songs..

Maybe its possible to have every piece of music ever written on one computer ?

I could buy a small rack enclosure about the size of a night stand and get 32 drives into it PLUS whats in my computer.

At that point I believe I could store the entire worlds total produced movies and music pretty easy with more then enough room for every printed book/magazine/paper..

Thats all with technology available right now.

You know soon it might be possible to get every bit of humanities total produced, everything, on one system pretty easy...

Wow all of mans knowledge collected in one place... Easily... Thats where the future is going. Looks like one day we will have EVERYTHING on a hand held device.

Kinda makes the value of the content pretty minimal when you can just buy EVERYTHING KNOWN TO MAN on one device. I could see that happening.

7. ScissorHands
    Boffin

Samsung can only spin 3 platters

That's why they'll have trouble matching HDS, Seagate and WD, who never developed mechanics incapable of 4 platters. HDS (ex-IBM) even had 5-platter disks, but the DeathStar debacle paid put to them toot sweet.

3-platter is less expensive, of course...

1. foxyshadis

True, except...

All of them routinely use 5-platter discs, aside from Samsung, Deathstar never stopped them. Hitachi's first 1TB was 5 platters, Seagate's current 3TB is 5-platters, etc.

8. sad_loser
    Go

magnificent subbing

what sets a really good website apart from the hoi-polloi

9. Doug Glass
    Go

Huh?

I thought hard drives were a thing of the past? Why are we seeing new and "better" ones being developed? Personally I think anybody who puts all his data on one storage thingy (of any size or construction) is an idiot. Something about putting "all your eggs" or something. I'd just like the damn things to be more reliable. Give me a slew of 100 year 160GB drives and I might feel safe.

10. Joe User
    Grenade

Cue Darth Vader's theme music

"This means Hitachi GST's 3TB drive has the highest speed interface of the three."

Does it also mean that the Hitachi drive will crash and burn faster than the competition? They have a reputation to uphold, after all.

11. Glen Graham
    Pint

Just need 3 to make a brain

Within the last year, I read an article speculating when 5TB drives should hit... and the article obviously dove into what needs that much storage...

To illustrate the capacity, it compared it to a human brain - which apparently is estimated to be about 10 terabytes.

It makes you think - sure, the brain is not a perfect recall, but think how much imagery *is* stored in your brain -- you can recognize beyond countless pictures, people, landscapes, etc. Enough to "know" if something has changed. You can recall extensive details about movies, etc. Pretty cool.

Now I want an SD slot in the back of my head so I can store photos directly from my eyeballs :)

12. Dick Emery

Lost confidence in Hitachi

Purchased 3 of their 2TB DeathStars 1 died within 6 hours and the others failed Hitachi's own DFT. Swapped them for Samsung F4's and thus far been sweet (Although if you have any vibration whatsoever their SMART info can report lots of G-Sense errors).

1. Richard 120

same here

Since I lost 2 80Gb of their drives within minutes of each other when they were in a raid 5 array, that seriously pissed me off.

Never bought Hitachi since.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like