back to article SkyFire flees iTunes store

Pre-processing mobile browser SkyFire has been pulled from the iTunes app store after only five hours of offering access to streamed video content, because it's just too popular to cope. SkyFire routes traffic through its own servers, modifying the content to suit the mobile device on which it's being run - on the iPhone that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Jobs Horns

What's worse

"SkyFire gets its 70 per cent of the $2.99 iTunes price"

And Apple gets 30%, not only by virtue of a decision to ban Flash. Free revenue stream for not having a feature - the man is a genius!

1. Joel Fiser
      Big Brother

Not totally brain-dead?

Until his not-so-clever but not totally brain-dead customers put their little thinking caps on and realize - "hey - if I had any other smart phone - I'd have the ~real~ Flash..."

2. xj25vm

Title

Seems to me like somebody didn't do their homework on the business front. Their servers have to keep on doing work for their customers forever(ish) - but they only charge their customer once upfront. The two just don't add up together.

Sure, from a technical and user experience point of view this was a much needed solution - but financially they seem to have forgotten to think it through.

1. dave 81
      Jobs Horns

Actually

If they start running out of money, they will just sell an "upgraded" browser and phase out the support for the old one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash Video

You mean people are desperate to watch Flash Video?

Could it be that most video is still played back using Flash? But Sir Steve says HTML 5 is all you need. He can't be wrong surely?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Simple solution

Their revenue stream could be solved by using Apples In-App purchasing.

Original Purchase gives 1 month of usage. After that, buy an in-app purchase to unlock another months worth, or similar.

Yes, some people woukld stop using it, but they've already shown they're willing to buy for Flash on the iPhone, so it's not that much of a leap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hint for Jobs.....

Perhaps this should be considered a hint to his Steveness that end users do actually want Flash support?

1. DZ-Jay

Re: Hint for Jobs...

Actually, it's a hint that people want to watch video. The fact that they are encoded in Flash is immaterial to them, for they keep on buying iPhones and such.

This is more a hint for all those sites offering Flash video that perhaps it's time to expand their reach by offering non-Flash video for all those video-hungry users without Flash.

As the story suggests, there's no money to be made in offering server-side work-arounds to the Flash limitation.

-dZ.

1. thecakeis(not)alie

Expanding your reach.

Why would I want to support Mac users? Disabled people I have to support by law. Mac users I don't. Why waste the money?

6. Bod
    Jobs Horns

Jobsian Law

Surely this goes against the Law of Jobs as it involves converting something he hates (i.e. someone else's technology that he can't control) into something he doesn't?

Given the existing rule about converting code, I'm surprised he hasn't done the same yet on content and ruled that all content must be created at source according to Apple standards using only technology that he approves of.

7. 20legend
    Unhappy

Well....

.... that's really f*cked Skyfire up. Been using it for ages on N95, but since being made available for iphone I get nothing bet errors saying that due to strong demand the service is unavailable.

Balls!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So..

if it's a server problem it should be "sold out" on the Android marketplace too. Is it?

Sounds like a marketing scam, just look at all the free publicity they're getting. First app to have sold out..

Their business model seems to point to transcoded "partner" content (eg ads) showing up in a toolbar eventually.. so not that bad.

I think some companies would gladly pay not to have to redo their Flash code using the tool that's in fashion this week. In the past the similar services were offered for HTML to "mobile enhanced" translation (BA comes to mind).

So people have made money with far worse business plans.

9. The Other Steve

EULA

I can't believe anyone who reads SkyFire's EULA would actually use it, whatever small benefits it may bring. Like facebook, it isn't really free, you're just giving them something that isn't money.

10. M Gale

Hahahahaha...

"Sold Out".

Did they run out of 1s and 0s?

Could just be honest and say "holy shit our servers have just fallen over for the tenth time in an hour and we can't sustain this." I suppose that doesn't look as good though.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh well,

At least Redtube works on it!

Paris because...oh never mind.

12. Watashi

blahblah iPhone owners gullible idiots blahblah

SkyFire free on Android and Symbian. End of message.

13. Philip Harvey

Already has ads?

If I am not mistaken, when I tried it they inserted a 5 second long video ad before my content started playing. This would explain how they plan to make money...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like