back to article Skype throws off Nimbuzz in ad-revenue smackdown

Identity aggregation client Nimbuzz has joined Fring in the does-not-Skype pile, as the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) behemoth continues trimming back the parasites. Nimbuzz tells us it has been asked to remove all Skype and SkypeOut functionality from its mobile and desktop clients, just as Fring was cut off from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Skype Android Client is a joke

Unfortunately the Skype Android client is terrible. It does not work on many handsets.

It does not even support popular budget handsets like the HTC Wildfire due to screen resolution.

Fring and Nimbuzz have been filling that void.

Not quite sure what Skypes business plan is apart from to prevent as many of its users from using their service as possible.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Remind me, who won the instant messaging war...

...Twitter?

Which, like the U.S. in most conflicts except the ones that they started, wasn't there for most of it, I think?

1. RegisterThis

Twitter = IM?

Not sure I agree with that ... all Twitter has won is the micro 'email' spam war ...?

3. Mahou Saru

Fring vs Skype...

Looks like Fring's story is the one to believe now!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Walking out of skype

As soon as my skypeout credits expire, I'm gone for good. It is more expensive than the competition, and is doing all they can to kick out third party services - it is time to abandon this aol messenger...

5. Dan S

Skype cuts off nose?

AC: "Not quite sure what Skypes business plan is apart from to prevent as many of its users from using their service as possible."

Yep. I used to SkypeOut (i.e. paid for) using the Nimbuzz client. I'm not exactly going to top up my Skype account once the money runs out.

6. Kurt 4
    WTF?

Jerks

I hate skype now. They ticked me off when the blocked Fring then I discovered Nimbuzz and now it's not possible to make skype out calls on Android unless your on wifi or have verizon. FringOUT is cheaper than skype anyway. I Just added 10$ credit and will try it out. Fring needs to make a windows app and then people will start making the switch.

7. Soruk
    FAIL

Skype text-chat on J2ME

Another void that Nimbuzz had been filling - IM chats on a J2ME phone. Last time I looked Skype didn't offer text-chat support on them at all.

8. Rex Alfie Lee
    Coat

All the Android hardware...

Dear, dear! Is this a really dangerous move with so many Android phones & tablets coming out. Could be a majorly upsetting decision by Skype as the hoards dump it without a second thought then jump into a different provider...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like