back to article Facebook dismisses Ceglia lawsuit as 'scam'

Facebook dismissed a lawsuit filed against the company’s boss Mark Zuckerberg by a man who claims he is entitled to 84 per cent of the social network, by saying the whole thing was a “scam”. New York firewood salesman and web designer Paul Ceglia threw a sueball at Zuckerberg in June. Ceglia had initially hired the Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title

It cant be nonsense or they would also sue for libel wouldn't they

They have just called the guy a scam artist and felon.

If this is not true they should sue.

2. Rob 101

Not Necessarily

If he has been convicted for scam-mongery then it is provably.

It also does not exclude him from having a legal contract as he claims. Just makes it less likely and gives the other side ammo.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aaand...

...I'm sure this guy has produced said contract, right?

Plus, even if there were a contract as he claims, I don't know that it would automatically entitle the guy to what he says. Did he define what facebook would be? Or did the contract specify only the title and not the content? If the latter, well, maybe he could get breach of contract for not producing the site, but the fact that he asked zuckerberg to make something doesn't mean he owns it just because the name is the same.

It also doesn't do a very good job of explaining the 'facemash' thing...

4. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Good reportating!

I've never liked the business ethics of Facebook so i'm smiling at this.

I hope Paul Ceglia wins his 84% control of Facebook if he's entitled to it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lawyer was "unsure" whether Zuckerberg Now Certain its FRAUD

"Whether [Zuckerberg] signed this piece of paper, we're unsure at this moment,"

Now they are saying they are sure it is FRAUD and a SCAM. Sounds fishy.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/21/ceglia_facebook/

6. Bilgepipe

Retaliation

Facebook should just raid his account and sell off his personal details in retaliation.

Oh, wait, they probably already have.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Awarding yourself 1% more for each day past due?

What happens if you are at 100%? You declare victory and go home??

This guy should be working at the Federal Reserve.

1. Number6

1% of total or 1% of what's left?

If the latter then it would have a different growth curve that never got to 100%

8. Rogerborg

Mass bends light

Money bends reality. We'll never know what the truth is here. The only thing that we can be sure of is that only the lawyers will win this one.

9. semprance

It would be awesome

if on the DVD of the Social Network, there were deleted scenes of Zuckerburg being pestered by some guy with a bag of firewood on his back.

All the proof I need.

10. bolccg
    Coffee/keyboard

^ This ^

== awesome!

Hilarious image man :O)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I'm confused

"a fraud brought by a convicted felon with a well-documented track record of scamming and defrauding honest people.”

That could pretty much describe both men. To which was he referring?

12. Milkfloat

title

Facebook dismisses Ceglia lawsuit as 'scam' - well they would say this. It is highly unlikely Facebook would say that the case has merits.

13. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Sueball?

New word? Lucille Ball?

:)

14. CheesyTheClown
    Troll

Lawyers dismiss the fraud claim?

So, you have some lawyers representing this guy who might have the weakest possible claim to 84% of a multi-billion dollar company. If they drag it out only a short time, they'll might even manage to settle for 7 figures.

So, even if the guy was straight with them and said "Well, I know it's bullshit and I don't think we should go through with it", these lawyers would probably hire a hit man to mame him so he couldn't tell anyone else.

These lawyers will win no matter what. After all, even if they lose, they're they'll be the guys you go to to try and make bullshit scams work through the courts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like