back to article Facebook on the blink for second time in two days

Update (3:56pm Pacific): Facebook has apparently solved the problem that was preventing access to its site. The site appears to be operating normally. Facebook has acknowledged that at least some users had difficulty accessing its site on Thursday afternoon, a day after the site experienced similar but unrelated problems. "We …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy 68

I take it

you've not seen the 4chan threat earlier, then?

http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1285275751290.png

Andy

1. Anonymous Bastard
      FAIL

4chan 'tards

That ultimatum displays all the spelling ("becomming") and grammar ("We tried petitioning they.") that we've come to expect from 4chan. At least it's convincingly authentic.

1. Adam Salisbury
        Troll

H3ar c0m3z teh l33t hax0rz

Facebook downtime courtesy of 4chan? Gues the skiddies are good for at least one thing then

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Neutrality

See. Keep networks neutral.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Keep networks neutral?

Well, there are pros and there are cons. But what's the link between network neutrality issues and technical infrastructure quirks, pray tell?

3. The Envoy

So was 4chan "vicorious" then?

Just asking

4. Richard 45

No title

Meanwhile, several hundred people suddenly discovered that they had a life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately...

Several million others realised that they didn't...

5. Reverend Brown

Oh no.

Do some work, read a book, pet your real cat instead of fawning over pictures of them, I dunno. Big deal.

1. VinceH

Letters, Digits.

http://misc.vinceh.com/2010/01/ten-things-you-could-be-doing-rather-than-using-facebook/

6. Rick Leeming
    Thumb Up

Awesome!

Got to love it, some people think the entire 'net is facebook, they'll be in TEARS.

7. Cunningly Linguistic
    Troll

Errr....

...why would people complain to El Reg when Facebook is down?

It's not like you're in India is it?

8. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

DO YOU LIKE THIS TITLE? DO YOU?

I assume the twitter quote about people roaming the streets showing pictures and shouting is a funny that relates to something Facebooky? Anyone care to enlighten me? I'm Completely Confused here...

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

What it is, is

... the new phenomenon of inyourfacebook.com, when you meet someone in RL from FB you poke them in the chest and shout "LIKE!" ... followed by copious drinking and having comments tattooed on each other forearms. Hi-larious!

2. Pandy06269
      Thumb Down

Yeah...

... because the quote assumes that the people mentioned have nothing better to do than post loads of pics, statuses etc to Facebook, which in turns asks people if they like anything and everything - i.e.:

"xxx is now in a relationship. LIKE?"

"xxx is getting ready for a night out. LIKE?"

"Here's a photo of xxx with new partner on a night out. LIKE?"

But as Facebook was down, the only way said people can get other people to like their photos, statuses etc is by going out in the street shoving them in their faces and asking them "LIKE?"

It's not really that funny, but I get it.

3. Wommit
      Boffin

To enlighten you

would also involve showing that one was a user of facebook. Thus opening the enlightener to the natural ridicule of his or her peers.

Thus, your enlightenment may take a long time.

1. Adam Salisbury
        Coat

Surely you missed a bit...

You know, the bit where you take hundreds of photocopies of all your most personal details and hand them out the everyone you meet?

4. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
      WTF?

whoa!

Thanx for the people who gave an answer.

4 downvotes (so far) for asking an honest question?

I'm at a loss unless I've broken the commentard rules by admitting my ignorance rather than just bluffing?

9. David Gosnell

Already seeing the hoaxes (presumably) going round

Example:

"‎23rd September 2010 you may have noticed that facebook servers have crashed and that you cannot sign in or on, this is because a group of hackers have hacked the main system, the facebook team are trying to save what they can, it is advised if facebook does come up and running again you ...change your password immediately. Thanks BBC... news team try get the msg round as quick as possible, thats why"

10. Martin Budden Silver badge
    FAIL

Mr

I thought the whole point of the internet was that if some of the network failed then traffic could find other routes to go around the failed bits. Looks like someone failed to think about redundancy, and this failure resulted in a failure to cope with the failure.

FAIL icon because I've already used the f word so many times, one more can't hurt.

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

LOL

"Facebook users are roaming the streets in tears, shoving photos of themselves in people's faces and screaming 'DO YOU LIKE THIS? DO YOU??'," TheDollSays on Twitter.

LOL

1. Adam Salisbury
      FAIL

The cheek of it

I'm no Facebook fan but the cheek of a Twatterer to try and make fun of the Facespace mob!

Meanwhile the recent complete Twitter failure has left thousands realising no-one cares what they had for breakfast nor what the bus smells like this morning...

12. gimbal
    Joke

Nothing to be concerned about

...just Skynet going through another growing pain.

*hiccup*

13. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

and...

Nothing of value was lost

14. The Indomitable Gall

Network probs...?

When I tried to connect it reported a DNS error, so I'm not sure the scepticism is really justified.

15. leona 2
    Happy

Sad, isn't it.

That facebook goes off the air for a few hours and the world grinds to a halt, you know there was life before facebook, and scary as it sounds, there will be life afterwards!

[ Like ] ;)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

who are these people?

"The statement arrived after The Reg received multiple complaints about the site"

Which saddos emailed The Reg to complain about Facebook responsiveness?

Thats like me ringing the gas board cuase my telephone doesnt work!

Some people just need a good ole smack round the cheeks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Complaints about the site...

"The statement arrived after The Reg received multiple complaints about the site"

What that means is the statement has arrived following a lengthy tirade against the website from many of The Register's readers for a number of years, many stating such facts as "Facebook is sh1t", "Facebook is for people who can't make proper friends", and the most vociferous "Get a life you moronic cnuts"

Anon, cos I've actually got a profile on there. In my defence, I haven't accessed it for the best part of, oh, about a week… :P

2. J P

Huh?

How do you ring anyone when your phone isn't working?

In other shock news, the human race survived over 4 hours without Facebook in 1985. In fact, it coped for a whopping 8,765 hours without Facebook in 1985. Why can it not do so now..?

17. Real Name
    WTF?

Twitter

managed to stay up, which is more surprising.

1. Shane Orahilly
      Alert

There were some knock-on effects

downforeveryoneorjustme.com seemed ironically to be overwhelmed to the point it couldn't cope with my query for whether it was down for everyone, or just me.

18. Fluffer

So what?

It's free, it's sad, get over it, rediscover your life.

19. copsewood
    Thumb Up

Expect a baby boom

In around 9 months time.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"We’re currently experiencing some site issues"

Zuckerberg spilled hot coffee and doughnut crumbs into the server?

Wouldn't be surprised.

21. Adam Salisbury
    Grenade

If only it'd been longer

I'm still waiting to see what real Facebook withdrawl looks like, most people start getting more twitchy than heroin addicts if they can't log on between work breaks let alone for hours at a time!

22. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Missed it

One of my brief forays in to the Real World(tm) from Faceache and I missed it all.

Worst of all must have been the panic by Face-addicts who were despartate to tell the world via Facebook that it was down but couldn't get on to Facebook to do it.

Was there no increase of reports of sponaneous combustion as the circles they were running in got smaller and faster?

23. tardigrade
    Coffee/keyboard

If only faceache were more like....

I wonder how the faceache network will stand up to the introduction of the new social networking services that will in future be an inevitable development of technology.

It's ok posting pictures and comments to LIKE and playing games etc. but the site needs to move beyond that. It needs more real time services. Sharing pictures instantly, not just telling people what you are listening to but actually all listening to the same music together and not just commenting but group social chatting together. Create an atmosphere in real time. Let people touch each other and laugh at each other photos together, not just after the event. These real time services will create online rooms where friends can interact like never before and that's just the start, it's the inevitable future of social networking and it's going to be wonderfull....

Oh hang on I've just described a f*****g pub!

24. chris 130
    Happy

Huzzah

and yet no-one noticed.........

25. Matt Newton

I don't have a facebook account

\o/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like