back to article Adobe patches critical Flash Player vuln under attack

Adobe Systems has patched a critical vulnerability in its ubiquitous Flash Player that has been under active attack for at least a week. The company on Monday issued an update for Flash Player 10.1.82.76 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Solaris, and Adobe Flash Player 10.1.92.10 for Android handsets. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

See icon

Why do Adobe's most brilliant minds find it impossible to make one installer which uninstalls any previous versions of Flash whereever they may be (because it changed over time) and then installs both the Active X and Netscape Plug-in versions?

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Err

>As usual, Windows-based Flash users who surf the web with Firefox or another browser other than Internet Explorer will have to install the patch at least twice to be fully protected.

Wait, what?

3. bluest.one
    Megaphone

No Bullshit Link

That bypasses all the retarded 'GetPlusPlus' addon bullshit in Firefox and gets you the latest version of Flash:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. G Kramer

patch comes with baggage

installing this patch also installs, without asking, the New York Times Reader.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not in my case

In so far as I can tell.

6. JP19

How do you keep up to date?

How are you supposed to keep Flash on Windows up to date in a neat easy way?

I don't use Windows much but when I do Firefox tends to warn me that Flash is out of date. Last time I did this I clicked on the link Firefox gave me and downloaded the Flash Player for Windows. Or at least I thought I did. What I actually got was a Firefox extension called Adobe DLM. I still have the same version of Flash Player and I'm wondering what the point of the Adobe DLM thing is. Do we really have to keep manually downloading updates to Flash all the time? The average user is not going to do that.

1. Fenwar
      Stop

The workaround for Flash Player on Windows...

(...without all the download manager/free security scam nonsense)

If you use Firefox as your default browser:

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. Go to Adobe Flash Player site

3. Click the "Different operating system or browser?" link

4. Select the "other browsers" option.

If you use IE as your default browser, reverse the above steps by using Firefox (or any other non-IE-based browser).

This will let you download a standalone executable installer.

2. Tom 13

Adobe DLM is the download manager for Adobe.

It's a piece of crap. You have to do something else to enable it, then Adobe downloads the update. After the download completes, you have to close FireFox, accept the update, and install it. DLM is a piece of crap. And it only patches FF, not FF and IE. And it only works for Flash and Reader, not Shockwave. Did I mention this is a piece of crap?

Download and install the Secunia PSI util instead. It takes you to links that will fix everything.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

FLASH FIX

1.) Enable HTML5

http://www.youtube.com/html5

2.)Download FF4 or Google Chrome (see page above for downloads.)

3.) Boycott Flash videos.

4.) Download tons of HTML5 videos to give youtube the incentive to transcode everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Dumb

> Download tons of HTML5 videos to give youtube the incentive to transcode everything.

Oh dear.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

WebM Demo Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LZfpKQv2aY&feature=related

9. Fuh Quit
    FAIL

One down one to go?

In your dreams, more like one down and be prepared to patch within 4 weeks again.

Adobe Software (certainly Flash and Reader) are FAILWARE. Flash I refuse to install (but get free with Chrome so can use that if I really must) and Reader should be simply Reader and not clicky-clicky super-smashing whatever it is.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

HTML5 Is The Fix

Youtube has a HTML5 beta program. The more people sign up, the earlier we get rid of that crap.

Penguins would use HTML5.

11. Calum Morrison
    Thumb Up

Admins can use Group Policy

Both the IE and Firfox versions are available in .msi format for automatic distribution via Group Policy; you need to sign up (free) to redistribute Flash player after which you get the full range of files offered to you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like