back to article Fanboys flabbergasted by 'Apple TV runs iOS' revelation

Why is everyone so amazed that the Apple TV runs iOS? True, Apple itself has never said as much, but anyone who has looked at the product's tech specs on the Apple website - posted almost immediately after the device's announcement - will see that it's based on Apple's A4 CPU. The A4 is, of course, the ARM-based system-on-a- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Did none of 'em read the specs page?

Since when have any Apple Fanboys bothered to read anything? They just swallow anything Steve says, and light virtual votive candles to him on their iPhones.

2. Jeremy Chappell

Least Surprising,,,

Has to be said this is the least surprising "revelation" since someone discovered that eating pies might be related to obesity. It doesn't follow that Apple will do anything in particular with it though. Even if it hadn't been iOS they could have done apps, an AppStore whatever - Apple can write code for other platforms. It doesn't follow that they will.

3. Pavlovs well trained dog

Perian

I wonder how long - if at all - there'll be a Perian type port to enable the ATV to play all (or most) media types

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sorry, who is flabbergasted?

Everyone assumed it did surely? Then proof arrived to confirm it, so what on Earth are you rambling on about, other than needing an excuse to attempt to prove your superiority over Apple "fanboys".

What an utter fabrication of an article.

5. Richard Porter
    Pint

Confused? So am I

"The A4 is, of course, the ARM-based system-on-a-chip Apple uses in the iPhone 4 ..."

Not to be confised with the ARM chip that Acorn used in its A4 notebook which ran RISC OS.

6. ThomH

Pointing towards positioning Apps as channels?

You know, with iAds available for commercial breaks if you want to set one up all on your own? We're already in the position where anything the iPhone or iPad can stream can be pushed on to the AppleTV (without being left going on the phone/tablet, apparently), making them supersmart remote controls — I can't help feeling Apple is hoping to sneak functionality in past the networks.

7. John Tserkezis

Why is everyone so amazed that the Apple TV runs iOS?

Because Apple fanbois get excited over little things like that.

If Apple made burgers, and Steve Jobs *personally* spat in every fourth burger, there would be rioting in the streets over who would get into the shops first.

Like homer says about the KrustyBurgers: "Hmm I like those odds!"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

OMG! ONOZ!

An underselling, under-featured, under-powered(*) Apple product uses OS best suited for it's purpose! Shock horror!

C'mon...surely even the fanboid aren't *that* bovered? And where exactly in this article does it evidence the 'fact' the fanbois are up in arms?

Poor show, Reg...

* - 1080p still a no-go, from what I hear.

9. Andrew Ducker
    Thumb Up

XBMC

An extra thumbs up for installing XBMC on the old Apple TV. It makes an excellent media centre, for a very reasonable price and form factor.

10. SuperTim

XMBC?

"We used such a method to install the XMBC open source media centre UI on our old Apple TV this weekend"

Or even XBMC!

11. 3G or not to 3G
    FAIL

RTFM

I knew it ran iOS from the first ten seconds. It took the massive bit of investigative journalism of scrolling to the bottom of Apple's own webpage.

I know that fanbois are used to never having to workout anything for themselves (certainly not a right mouse button), but this is ridiculous!

12. famousringo
    Dead Vulture

Circular

First The Reg posts an "alert" that Apple TV runs iOS, then it posts an article sneering at people who are surprised by the fact.

How about a little respect for you co-workers Reg? Everybody misses the obvious from time to time.

13. David 141
    Thumb Up

Darwin

And Mac OS and iOS are both based on Darwin, which in turn is basically UNIX.

Unix FTW!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like