back to article HP reported close to naming Hurd successor

Somebody has to stop Hewlett-Packard before it acquires another company for billions of dollars again, and the word on the street is that the IT giant is getting set to do that soon. Possibly as early as next week. Bloomberg reported Friday that HP's board of directors could announce a successor to Mark Hurd, now co-president …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Wigglesworth
    Unhappy

ah well

I thought ... "oooh, I didn't even know that HP were working on Hurd"

Then I read the story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They couldn't

HP software sucks.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Alien

NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT ...... for Imaginative Capturing of IntelAIgent Communities*

The Present Future for Leaderships and Wannabe Moguls, is in Programs which Vertically Stratify the Cloud Layer Environment for Successful Horizontal Deployment and Maintenance Supply of Progressively More Secure and Sustainable Applications with Browser Driven Operating Systems which Provide, and Source, Inventive Novel Content, Phished and Pharmed and Phormed AIdDynamically.

And it is not so much that such Programs and Spin-Off Projects Lead from the Front with those with their Heads in the Clouds, as they are also XXXXStreamly Well Designed to be Attractive and Easily Followed from the Rear and at the Lower and Most Basic Levels of Managed Perception. Thus are All brought along Together in a Unity and Edutaining Singularity.

* .... with CyberIntelAIgent Meme Extension Pretensions ...... Great Gaming XSSXXXXPectations.

An Alien Concept perhaps, but a Humanoid Reality to Boot for an Alternate Ad Hoc Approach, which would you doubt, Now Already Runs Stealthily in AI Parallel ProgramMING ..... and thus is ITs Choice Already been Made and Taken?

3. JaitcH
    Pint

Hiring and old HP hand might well solve the morals and morale problems

Messrs. Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard (Bill and Dave to employees) were fair dealers and ran HP in a similar manner. 1978 Bill retired as CEO and continued as vice chairman of the HP board of directors until 1987. Dave retired in 1993.

Under their Flex Time program, HP employees can begin work at any time during a two-hour period and leave after completing an eight-hour work day. The purpose, as explained by Bill, is "to gain more time for family leisure, conduct personal business, avoid traffic jams or to satisfy other individual needs." How many companies think of family now?

It seems since HP started hiring 'outsiders' they forgot the principles of "The HP Way" which were trust and respect for individuals; focus on a high level of achievement and contribution; conducting business with uncompromising integrity; achieving common objectives through teamwork and encouraging flexibility and innovation.

Hopefully someone hired from within HP will remember these goals out of respect for the founders and remove the tarnish from the reputation of HP that started with Carly Fiorina.

Did you know Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder, originally designed the Apple I computer while working at HP? Small world!

1. Tempest
      Happy

Your comments are most interesting

These tidbits of information were useful anecdotal that fills out the article.

Thanks.

2. Ned Leprosy Silver badge

Re: Hiring and old HP hand

Pretty much in complete agreement with you there; what surprises me is that someone disagreed strongly enough to downvote your comment. I'm genuinely curious to know what on earth they objected to...

1. alwarming
        Paris Hilton

Re: I'm genuinely curious to know what on earth they objected to...

Maybe Carly reads the comments section ?

Paris, coz she might be curious too...

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

I disagree

I work for the pos company that is HP too. Filling the job from the inside will definitely not solve the morale problem. All the execs are still lining up to say that Mark was fantastic and they all took their huge bonuses under Hurd. If we don't get an outsider who acknowledges the degree to which Mark Hurds ethics stank it'll be ssdd.

Have you all forgotten about the big 5% lie ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Begs The Question

Would anyone really want that poison chalice of a job? Carly came in with some fresh ideas but was got rid of when the Compaq purchase didn't turn out so well. Hurd was got rid of for doing something naughty with his expenses.

I know Livermore has been there for a few years so might be a stabilising influence. But what the company really needs is a Packard clone. Maybe they should see if the Dolly the Sheep team are up for a bit of moonlighting....

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Big Brother Trojans

Hmmm .... Is Hurd an HP mole inside Oracle?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

What HP really needs?

Good piece. And yes, I expect to hear an announcement next week. The timing has to be perfect to steal any thunder from that other company. Perhaps on Friday.

They actually already have everyone they need. Andreesen could be Chairman.. he's got the tech credibility to pull it off, and the business sense to be a decent Chairman. Livermore as CEO to provide the fiscal responsibility without killing the company, and Joshi to be president.

Consider this, if you will.

With that particular ordering, you've got a Chairman who's credible, and brings both business and technology smarts, and vision to bring back innovation to the company. Livermore who has proven she can do what has to be done to make the company successful. And VJ, who has not only good business sense, but also some ambition to be a market leader again through innovation.

Two of the three were at HP while Bill and Dave were still running the show, and have survived the 'cutback with a chainsaw' years of Carly and Hurd.

For the long term survival of that company, I can't see them doing anything else. But you never know.. many of the current Board are Hurd acquired boardmembers.

They've acquired a half dozen companies in half so many years, a couple being major integrations, and they've come through it just fine. I think you'll see one or two more moderately sized acquisitions, and then it's going to be back to R&D to get in front of the competition instead of trying to play catch up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We don't need no steenkin' title

> and then it's going to be back to R&D to get in front of the competition instead of trying to play catch up.

Sure - takes a lot of R+D to make ink.

HP has lost it's way big time - the hardware used to be well respected (remember the old ICE boxes? fantastic piece of kit)

but now they're just another box shifter like Dell moving cheap chassis containing components supplied by the lowest bidder.

Sad to see a once great leader on it's knees like that - in the same way that DEC disappeared.

7. David Hicks

God I wish I was that useless

that someone would pay me 35 *million* to leave. How does one go about become that obnoxious and poisonous that people are so desperate to see the back of you they'll pay more than most folks earn in 30 lifetimes?

And count me as another who immediately thought "GNU/Hurd?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like