back to article Asus prices up Eee PC sub-sub-notebook for US

Asus' diminutive Eee PC will go on sale in the US on 1 November for $300-400, depending on configuration, it has emerged. Information supplied by Asus to its resellers appears to have found its way to NotebookReview.com, which this weekend revealed that US buyers will get to choose from three configurations: the 2G Surf, 4G …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it...

I've spent thirty minutes staring at this picture and can't see the laptop. I'l try for another thirty and that's it.

2. Shane McCarrick

The processor is

Asus did release full specification details to resellers. The list has the processor (which is in common on the 3 models) as: Intel Celeron M ULV 900MHz

Shane

3. Captain DaFt
    Thumb Down

Interested, but...

I've been following the press releases about the eee with interest, it sounds like a great machine, but the price has climbed with every announcement!

And now the 8 gig version won't even be released here? Looks like I'll just have to spend my $400.00 on a regular laptop (with higher specs!) and install PuppyOS on it.

4. OneArmJack
    Thumb Down

Why the poor battery life?

How have Asus managed to get such poor battery life from a device this size with no hard drive and a small screen?

5. Haku

US / UK price variants not so bad

It's nice to see a new electronics device which is to be sold in the US and UK having comparative prices, $400 in the US and around £220 in the UK, if it followed the trends of countless other consumables we'd be having to pay £300+ for an Eee in the UK (or the US crowd would only have to spend around $300).

I pre-ordered my 4GB Eee for £239 inc.postage and on the same day I could've bought a new 15" widescreen 1.6ghz 80gb hd laptop for £249 which trounces all over the Eee specs but for a couple of things; physical size and weight, where the Eee shines - I wouldn't want to carry a fullsize laptop in my panniers!

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Battery life

Simple, shrink the battery, shrink the capacity. Sure the CPU is low power and lack of disk motor helps, but the ratio of capacity to watt use is probably no different to a normal laptop.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just in time...

...for NaNoWriMo. For our transatlantic cousins, that is.

If they'd got it out a month earlier, they may have been able to get the NaNoers to do their marketing for free.

"Hey guys, wanna NaNo on the train? Try this!"

8. alistair millington
    Thumb Down

This sucks

Rip off Britain on pricing and still no 8GB release.

Odd as we are the fifth biggest economy in the world, they could make a killing here but only release the sub models.

I would love an economist to explain why the US get theres for less than half the price we do. Or why they don't ship higher spec models.

9. Andy G
    Paris Hilton

Well personally . .

i think i will wait til they release the 8Gb model and source it from wherever its gonna be sold.

Likewise its the portability aspect thats the main selling point here for me arther than the specs. There is rumored to be a 10" screen in the pipeline for this laptop but as far as i know, nothing confirmed yet.

Oh.. didnt they ask Paris to pose for the pic ?? would have increased the appeal somewhat me thinks.

;o)

10. William Towle
    Black Helicopters

Missing Links

...For anyone that said "Xandros Who?", http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/15/xandros_microsoft_license/ :(

Fortunately Gutsy Gibbon looks good on it, if a few upgrades (NDISwrapper amongst others) are required on top of the out-of-box install: http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006278o-2000331777b,00.htm

Still looking interesting to me, though.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who can find the lowest price?

Firstly - before I get lynched (I know someone will hunt me down and correct me if I am wrong...) I apologize in advance!

As this is still a new product and not yet launched in the UK I am trying to find the cheapest currently advertised prices as I want a couple of these units, and its also nice share with others.

So with that in mind I have managed to find (EEE PC 107 -= not sure which this one is...)

Who:

PC World Business

Direct Link:

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/ASUSNB16

Price inc vat and delivery:

£226.79

Has anyone got any ideas as to what spec this one is?

Haku: Where did you find yours?

12. Philip Cheeseman
    Happy

Got one from Taiwan

And I love it. Small, cheap and fairly rugged. And as an added bonus no windows tax.

It'll take a while for the Linux community to remove the silly limitations ASUS/Xandros have put in (software choice and simple interface) but the works half way done. See the www.eeeuser.com forums.

13. Haku

RE: Who can find the lowest price?

I ordered my 701 from http://www.nexus13.co.uk (home of AsusLaptops.com), just in case anyone's still reading this. Oh and don't forget to check out http://www.eeeuser.com if you're getting one or thinking about getting one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like